Chapter Three

I was beginning to think I hit a whole new level of madness when I looked around and saw everyone that was still around running madly for their lives. Some went deeper into the building, some went for the side entrance, some for the back entrance, most followed up the stairs and went to the roof, though I can't imagine why, while others stood frozen in place, shocked to their very core, as was I. I was still on the floor, my heart beat over the roof and my ears ringing, then Tony pulled me up and screamed at me,telling me we had to go. I shook myself out of my daze and started running with Yasmine close behind, her high heels clicking on the floor with a mask of terror on her face.

We made a slight turn towards the side entrance, because we decided it was our best bet, mostly because it was the closest way out. We were about to plunge through the doors when suddenly I stopped dead in my tracks. My heart was pounding through my shirt and all I could hear was the ringing in my ears. What the hell was I doing?

Tony grabbed my shoulders and he was shouting in my face, yelling at me to come on, asking why I stopped.

I couldn't say anything. He shook me again and I'm sure he didn't mean to, but he slapped me so hard I snapped out long enough to say one word.

"Mary."

He understood immediately and for a moment he looked absolutely horrified. Then it disappeared as soon as it appeared and what took it's place was something I never, I repeat, have never seen in my best friend's face. His face turned into complete defiance and seriousness. My friend, Tony who was always joking around, teasing me and others as well, is now looking defiant and serious, as serious as in a life-and-death situation, which this kinda is.

Then he did something really unexpected that I was starting to doubt if this was truly my best friend. He turned to Yasmine, grabbed her shoulders and must have looked really terrifying, because Yasmine made an unintelligible sound in her throat.

"Now, Yasmine. I want you to listen and listen very carefully. I want you to run out and get as far away as possible as you can, and don't look back till you are really, really far from this building and then use the phone booth to call the police. But before you do, give us a half hour and if we don't come out, call them and tell them what is going on. You understand, girl?"

"Um, y-yeah. But...what about you guys?"

"We are gonna look for Mary and some of the others that might be stuck in here with her. Now hurry.

"But wait-"

"There is no time, Yasmine. Now get."

"Alright. I will."

She turned and was about to start running again when Tony suddenly pulled her close to him and kissed her long enough for it to get awkward. He finally broke apart from her and told her to go. She swayed a bit but regained her balance. She took off in an instant.

Tony then turned to me and said we needed to hurry. If I wasn't so bent on finding Mary and rescuing her, I would have forced him to tell me what the hell he did and why he did it. But that can wait. I steadied myself and took off after Tony.

The ground stopped
shaking now but was still rumbling a little bit, which wasn't even a good sign. We rounded a corner and entered the Literature wing. We went straight for the library because that is where they have most of their classes. As we approached the door, the ground shook again, only this time much bigger and louder than the small rumblings. Yeah, something was definitely not right.

After a few more rumbles it finally halted and quieted down, but I knew it wouldn't last long. It sounds like very big footsteps walking slowly towards the school. My heart rate was increasing with each step I was taking. The library was a mess. There were overturned tables, broken shelves, scattered and torn books. On the right of the overturned librarian desk, a big table had turned over its side and Mary and three others were hiding behind the table. When she saw me, she stood up and walked over to me so abruptly that one of the three crouching lost his balance and fell.

Ross. That was his name. I remember him from one of the games we played.

As Mary made her way towards us, she was looking at me in a suspicious way as if I did something. She gave each of us a hug and I felt her heartbeat through her chest. Her lips so close to my ear and face, her hands encircling my body in a amazing way.
Typical of me. We are in mortal danger and all I can think about is, how amazing and good she was. I cleared my throat and looked at her for signs of bleeding or anything. She seemed okay, just a little shaken up. I stood watching her until she finally said.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Let's get the hell out of here."

I blinked a couple of times then nodded.

"Alright. Stay close together and whatever you do never separate from the group."

They all nodded their understanding and gestured for them to follow me. We maneuvered through the building, out the library, out the literature wing and burst into the last hall. We could see the entrance up ahead. We ran up to it. I was beginning to think that my luck was finally turning around when the ground shook again. Only this time, it was the biggest shake of the earth since the beginning of the shakes that we all fell to our bottoms.

It almost sounded like a banging. When I regained my vision, I looked up to the front doors and realized that in fact, it was banging. Someone or something was banging on the front doors and it was doing it really hard.
With the sound of the doors almost breaking apart and actually looking like they might, I figured we had about thirty seconds before they did. I helped Mary to her feet and yelled at everyone to get up and run. We just took two steps when the front doors burst apart and shrapnel flew everywhere. I threw myself on Mary to shield her which I almost regret. The shrapnel dug into my back and I stifled a painful scream.

When the smoke cleared, a shape so massive and ugly looking appeared out of the smoke with a giant club in hand, wearing only a dirty loincloth, also known as ancient people underwear. It had one eye on it's forehead which darted from direction to direction, searching for something. Why did I get the terrifying feeling that I was the something?

I looked at my friends who stood frozen in shock. I made a decision to myself. I was not going to let anyone die, not even Ross and the others.

I counted to like three and then I yelled.

"Run." in my most commanding voice.

The good news: my friends understood immediately and we took off on the other direction.
The bad news: it brought the monster's attention to us and it lumbered after us. It was really fast for something so big and hideous and it was gaining when a horrible thing occurred to me. Mary was lagging behind because she wasn't wearing running shoes, or normal shoes for that matter. She was wearing high heels. I looked at the monster really close behind her and shouted to her. Stupid me. I should have made sure she lost those long ago. If we survive, I will personally burn those bloody shoes myself. Why was she wearing them anyway? I guess she was too scared out of her mind to remember she was wearing them.

"Mary, hurry. Lose the heels."

She nodded, fear in her eyes. She stopped and took them off. She was about to start running again when I saw that it was already too late. The monster was right behind her. Blood roared in my eyes as it grabbed her and she screamed which made the others stop. No. I couldn't let this happen. No one is allowed to hurt Mary. I didn't know what I was thinking, or maybe I wasn't. I picked a big stick I found on the door and charged at the ugly creature. It glanced up and gave me a weary look. When I got there, I hit him repeatedly but to no effect. It smacked me and I flew back and hit the wall and cracked my head. My vision blurred.

Before I passed out, the last thing I saw was the monster turning and running away with Mary who was screaming and trying to wriggle herself free. I watched as it went out the front door, still with Mary in hand, and disappeared.

"Mary, I'm so sorry." Then I blacked out.

***

A/N

Picture of Mary is at the top.
OMG. Mary has been taken by a cyclops and our Jake was helpless in the situation.
Ooh, there are things going on.

Anyway, don't forget to vote, comment and I know this is a little late but I wish u guys a very happy Valentine's Day.