Chapter Nine

What a weird turn of events, I must say. My father was Hades, the death god. I still can't quite wrap my mind around it. The day after I was claimed, I was taken to the Hades cabin, which was a slightly big building with skulls decorating the entrance and skeletal images on the walls. The bed looked like a coffin with blazing torches outlining the perimeter of the room.

A lot of the campers have been avoiding me. Some of the Ares kids have even started calling me death boy. I asked Abe one afternoon while we were shooting targets.

"Don't worry about it, man." he simply said. But I knew from his evasive tone that he was lying.

"Abe. Tell me. I can handle it."

He looked at me for a very long time before finally saying.

"It's your father."

"Okay, I know that he isn't as nice as the others but what is so wrong with him?"

"It's just that, children of Hermes are usually bad omen. If a Hades child is born, it means something huge is going to go down. And you, my friend are the first child of Hades in at least two centuries. So pardon us for being kinda edgy around you."

"Oh." was all I could say.

"Hey don't worry about it, I'm sure everything will be fine. Now come one. We have to get ready. Tonight is the Dragon racing competition."

***

After dinner, we put on our armour, took our weapons and waited for the instructions. Nike flew past us and landed in front of us.

"Right. The instructions are simple. Find the dragons, get them to chase you, slay as many as you can while running through the woods and take the laurel necklaces tied around their tails and whoever has more necklaces and arrives here safely wins the game. Oh, and try not to die. Everyone, to the starting line."

When I looked at the number of campers, my breath ran away. We had to be 300 strong and I was thinking how we could all for in the woods without spotting each other.

Then I looked at the woods and my breath left me again. I have never been this close to the woods. Now that I am, the place looks much bigger than 3 or 4 football stadii combined.

"This is gonna be a long night." I muttered.

I looked at the teams, each looking so confident and sophisticated, except for Artemis who was a sworn maiden and Hera who has no demigod kids being the goddess of marriage and all.

There were six teams in all.

The first team was the Warring team. This consisted of Ares, Athena and Apollo.

The second were the Big Three which were Zeus, Poseidon and Hades a.k.a only me.

The third was the H-team, Hephaestus, Hecate and Hermes.

The fourth was the Dream team, Morpheus, Hypnos and Aphrodite.

The fith was the Fortunate Victors, whom were Nike, Tyche and Iris.

The sixth and last was the Drunken warriors, Dionysus, Nemesis and Demeter.

I was really intimidated by the teams because I know they wouldn't hesitate to hurt me. Nike blew a conch horn and we ran into the woods.

The games had begun.

We ran until we reached a clearing with a large creak in the middle with glittering blue water. The creek was glowing and smelled like the sea.

"Poseidon's Creek. We Poseidon spawn are stronger here. Alright gang. We have to split up. Break down into five groups, each with ten halfbloods. One team will defend us from the other campers cause I know some will not play nice. The second will lure the dragons out and get the creatures to chase them, a third will sneak behind them and take the necklaces and run away with them back to camp if we get enough. The fourth will fight the dragons if necessary, which I'm afraid might happen no matter what. And the fifth will guard us. Come one, Jake. You'll be with my team. We will fight the dragons. TO THE GODS!!! He howled.