Chapter Thirteen

I woke up to the sound of people talking. I opened my eyes and I was spread out on the sand, my friends a few feet away having a heated conversation about something. I tried to sit up but the effort made me wince. Mary saw me and she rushed over to my side. She touched my forehead and cursed.

"Still very hot. How are you feeling, Jake?"

I tried to speak but no words came out. My head was pounding and my body felt really cold, as if I was in a freezer.

"Tony, pass me that pack of ambrosia, will you?"

He handed it to her and she fed me it. Instantly, the pain in my head subsided to a small throbbing. I opened my mouth and this time words came out.

"What happened?" I asked.

Mary looked at me for a long moment.  "What is the last thing you remember before you passed out?"

"I remember the fight with Medusa and her sisters. I remember how I..." I stopped as the images came into focus.

"Yeah. After you passed out, we carried you out and Laura used the winds to transport us farther away from that place. We are almost to New Mexico, now."

Wow. I can't even begin to comprehend what I did back in Arizona. It was too much. I have too much power. Eventually it may kill me.

I looked at her and I could tell she was debating something within herself.

"What?" I prompted.

"There are some people who want a word with you." she looked over at our group and I saw that my friends were not alone. Sitting cross-legged amongst them were three old ladies with black overalls. One was holding a pair of shears. Another was holding along dark thread and the third was holding what looked like knitting yarn.

I suspected I knew who these ladies were. I looked at Mary and she nodded her head, confirming my suspicions.

The Fates had arrived.

***

I sat down between Mary and Tony and looked at the grandmas. They were studying me intently, with unreadable expressions on their faces.

"So, what's up?"

The one on the left tilted her head, gave me a wary look and opened her mouth.

"Well, everything is 'up', young hero. The end of the world is at hand. Tell me, what have you found out about the prophecy?"

"Well, we still don't know who the dragon is."

"Yes, although that is crucial, it isn't the most pertinent." The one holding the yarn, Clotho I think, said.

"What do you mean?"

"Have you figured out what the second line means?"

"What, about the meticulous friendly bonds?" Laura asked.

"Well meticulous means careful." Ron said. "And the friendly bonds. Oh I get what it means now."

"It means that you should be careful of your friends, right? That means someone is going to betray you, a friend." Tony suggested.

"Or friends. It didn't say bond, it said bonds." Mary reported.

"So I'm going to be betrayed by a friend or possible friends. And nobody knows who." I said slowly, looking at each of my friends' faces.

I couldn't help but wonder if the traitors are sitting right here with me.

One of the Fates, Lachesis looked at me and shook her head.