Chapter Eight

After Yasmine left, which kinda sucked by the way, Abe showed us various places around the island and explained to us about how these places came to be. Apparently, they were originally from ancient times made specifically for children of the gods. A lot of the gods had kids and most were killed tragically at young ages without doing anything significant. Only a few heroes, like Perseus, Bellerophon,Herxules of course and others were able to train and survive against the monsters and other evil creatures. So the gods decided to build these islands for their kids to train and learn to survive. This is like a safe haven.

"Wait," Mary raised a hand. "Why build this place? Can't we just hide from the monsters? I mean how would they even know we are...demigods?"

Judging by her tone, I guess she still hasn't accepted that crazy fact. Then again, neither did I really.

The supposedly son of Poseidon turned and looked at her before giving her a smirk. Which kinda made me jealous. We haved reached the arena and I peeked inside and saw young boys sword fighting and sweating. It seemed awesome, except it also seemed they were using real swords.

"Of only it could be that easy. Monsters have a unique sense of smell, especially for halfbloods. It's like we have this aura around us that attracts monsters from anywhere around the world. As we get more familiar with our powers or who we are, the stronger that aura becomes."

"So what's to stop the monsters from invading this place right now?"
This time, it was Tony who asked the question. He said it in a raspy voice and I know he is somehow pissed off at Abe for Yasmine leaving, even though it wasn't entirely his fault. Well, for the most part.

"There is a magical barrier that covers and protects the three islands, each with its own. No monsters or humans can enter this place, unless given permission from someone inside. Its the monsters we really worry about. Humans can just pass without knowing there is anything here."

As we passed the basketball court, I saw a couple of people with their upper half human and lower half horse, so they don't really classify as people. Centaurs. I think that is what they are called. One of them saw me staring and grinned at me, I didn't know what else to do so I smiled back shyly.

"How?" I said,trying to focus on anything but the centaurs. "How could they possibly pass this part of the sea without seeing anything?"

"The Mist." Abe answered simply.

"The what now?"

"The Mist. It is a magical veil that separates the human world for the mythological world. Him and only see what their minds can process, so they can't see monsters or gods or other creatures for who they really are. They can even work with monsters without knowing better."

This was all too much.

"Don't worry." Abe said as we reached the lake. We sat down on the edge and dipped our feet in the water. It soothed my nerves somewhat.
"I also felt completely lost my first day here. You'll get used to it."

There was something that has been nagging at the back of my head, a question I wanted to ask.

"Earlier you said the camps started out in ancient times. Where exactly?"

"Well obviously this one was in Greece and the Roman was in Rome."

"So how did they end up here?" I inquired further.

"Okay. The answer is civilization. Think about it. Greece was the first civilization. That is where the gods were born. Then the Romans conquered the Greeks and Rome became civilization. Think of civilization as fire. Where the fire burns brightest, that is the center of civilization. Now the fire is in the U.S. The gods and camps just materialized her and have been here for the last few centuries."