Chapter Seven

We salvaged what we could from the wreckage, which was not much. I Didn't really worry much about the damaged house. Mom can just call the repairers and she will have the house fixed and gleaming by the end of the month. We finished packing what we thought we might need; some toiletries, blankets, new clothes and shoes that we got from the store downtown. We were just about to go out onto the street when Matt looked at my mom and scowled.

"Um, Mrs. Adams. Where do you think your going?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, confused.

"You can't come with us."

I felt like my heart was being ripped out. I love my mom, even though she is really hard on some days, and the idea of leaving her behind just doesn't sit well with me.

"What do you mean, she can't come?"

Matt looked at me as if I had gone bonkers. Then he blinked and smiled shyly.

"Sorry. I forgot you were new to this. She can't come because...well, she's mortal."

"We're mortal, too."

Matt raised an eyebrow and smiled at me which made me shiver.

"Uh, no you're not."

"What do you mean, no I'm not?"

"I think you know, Jake. You are obviously smart. You know there is something different about the four of you, Yasmine included. You just don't want to know, but you do, deep down. What you did back there, I've never seen anything like it. You're one of us. You all are, minus your mother, of course."

I was about to deny it, but something told me he was right. That didn't make it any less confusing. I glanced over at my friends' faces and judging by their somewhat confused looks, I doubt they were muc& sense out of this than I was.

I was afraid to ask the question, but I did anyway.

"What do you mean by 'one of us'?"

"A halfblood. You are half human."

I let out a nervous laugh. Me? Half-human?

"You really must be insane." I laughed again but I choked on it because of the calm expression Matt had on his features.

"Okay." I managed.
"Say I am half human. Say we all are. What is the other half of us? I mean, gal human and half what?"

"Half-" Matt stopped himself.
"You know what? I'm just gonna let our directors explain everything. Right now, we need to go before more monsters come and kill us."

"That I exactly why my mom has to come with us. We can't just leave her alone." I protested

"Yes we can. And we must. Like I said before, she is mortal. The monsters will just ignore her, hopefully."

"What do you mean, 'hopefully'?"
I ask harshly.

I was about to start screaming when my mom called my name.

"Jake, enough. You are being a big baby. Of course I can't come. I'm not like you. I can't enter the premises of where you are going. I'm simply not allowed. You have to go. You have to leave me here. I can take care of myself. I will just get a hotel or something."

"But-"

"Shh. I knew this day was coming. They told me that monsters would attack but they never did. I don't know why. But now the time has come. Follow him. Discover who you are and what your destiny holds. Find out your link to you father."

I stared at her. "My what, now?"

"You heard me. He is still alive and will be waiting for you. He had to stay away from you. But please, don't forget that I love you, my boy."