Rolled Up Sleeves

Maya used the antiseptic solution and a washcloth to clean up the cuts on her thighs. The blood wasn't exactly where period stains would be, but Zay's a guy so how could he really know.

 She made sure to throw away the cloth before treating her pants and throwing them in the wash. She couldn't let her mom know.

Maya returned to her room shortly after.

"I'm sorry I accused you of lying. It's just that, I saw Lucas and Riley together at school and I just assumed you were faking," Zay apologized.

"It's okay, I get it," she accepted his apology.

"Is this your dad?" Zay pointed to a photo on a dresser.

Maya bit her lip and nodded her head.

"I was looking at it while you were in the bathroom and I couldn't help but think you two look so much alike."

"My mom used to tell me that a lot when I was younger. She doesn't really bring it up much now."

"How come?"

"He left when I was 5, they were fighting and when she came home from work the next day, he was gone."

"That's messed up, I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"I think the hardest part is when I do see the similarities," she looked at the photo of her and her father.

"Maya, I'm home," her mom called to her.

"I'm in my room," Maya yelled back.

"Who's this?"

"This is my friend Zay. He was just bringing me my books."

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, Zay," she shook his hand.

"Likewise, I've gotta get going but I'll see you at school tomorrow, Maya?"

Maya nodded her head.

"Cool, I'll see myself out," he said and walked out her room.

"Zay seems like a nice boy, but I thought you liked Lucas," her mom said questioningly.

"Woah, mom, Zay and I aren't together, we're just friends," she made sure to clear it up. "And Lucas is with Riley."

"I didn't know that they still liked each other."

"Yeah, neither did I," Maya said under her breath.

"Hey listen, I noticed that something from the bathroom was missing."

"Really, what?"

"A bottle of antiseptic for cleaning cuts," her mom watched her reaction closely.

"Maybe you misplaced it," Maya suggested.

"Or maybe someone used it. Maya?" her mom asked seriously.

"It wasn't me, mom," Maya insisted.

"I need you to show me your arms," Katy told her calmly.

Maya rolled up her sleeves and held them out to her mother. No new cuts, only old scars that were fading.

"I told you I don't do that anymore, mom."

"I'm sorry, but I only do this because I love you and I worry sometimes."

"I know."

"Were you thinking about your father?" Katy motioned to the picture frame.

"A little, yeah," Maya admitted.

"Don't dwell on it too much," her mom's expression changed into something unreadable. "After all, the best thing he did for us was leave."

Maya nodded her head. "I know, Zay was just asking about the photo."

Maya knew they were better off without her father around.

"Ok, I dropped off a tuna melt for dinner," her mom returned to normal. "I'll be back late tonight."

"You're going out again?"

"I have a date with Shawn tonight," she excitedly told her daughter.

"Oh, that's great, mom," Maya forced a smile. "Say hi to him for me."

"I will. I have to go now or else I'll be late. Don't wait up for me."

"Bye, mom."

And soon enough, Maya was alone with her thoughts again.