Break

"Can I have a black coffee?" Maya ordered.

"And a bagel," Riley added.

"I'm fine, Riley. You don't have to monitor what I eat."

"I do because you're getting really thin."

Maya appreciated Riley's concern, but it was also kind of annoying. And she might have lost a couple of pounds, but she'd hardly call herself really thin.

"So, how's your mom?" Riley asked.

"Good, she's still dating Shawn."

"They've been dating a while, do you think they're gonna get married?" Lucas asked.

"I don't know," she shrugged indifferently. "Things are fine between them the way things are. Why change anything?"

"You should eat some of your bagel."

"I'm eating fine, Riley," Maya took a bite of her bagel to prove she was capable of eating. 

"It's not like I don't eat on purpose. Sometimes I just don't feel like it."

"We still worry about you," Lucas added. "Not eating, withdrawing from friends, cutting, I think you might have depression."

"Yeah, I know," she finally let out. "I've suffered from depression for years ever since my dad left, but I take medication for it."

"Well, do you think you have to get your prescription changed or something?"

"No, it's not about the meds. Something happened and it messed everything up."

"What happened?" Riley asked.

"It's nothing."

"It's clearly not nothing. Tell us so we can fix it," Lucas pushed.

"I can't, it'll ruin our friend group."

"Maya, we want you to be okay," Zay told her. "If you don't tell them what's been bothering you I will."

"Now you're against me too?" Maya was in tears.

"I care about you, that's why I'm doing this."

"We want you to be happy," Riley held her in her arms. "What can I do to help you?"

"Nothing, I can't be happy, at least not without hurting you."

"Please, tell me what you're talking about," Riley pleaded.

"I like Lucas. The night of the party, I was gonna ask him out."

"Then it's official, Lucas and I are breaking up."

"What?" Maya asked still shaking and crying.

"Yeah, we can't keep dating if this is what it's doing to our best friend," Lucas stated.

"We love you, Maya. You don't deserve to feel this way."