Who Does She Like?

Maya was lying on her bed staring at the ceiling when her phone started buzzing. 

Incoming FaceTime Call from Riles💕

"Hey, Riles," Maya answered.

"Peaches, I missed you so much at school today," Riley said perkily.

"I missed you too, Riley."

"What was wrong? Are you feeling better now?"

"My stomach was bothering me, but I think I'll be okay for tomorrow."

"That's good. You wouldn't believe what Lucas did today."

"What'd he do?" Maya sat up in her bed.

"This morning I went to my locker and he was standing there with a rose for me."

"Wow, how...thoughtful," Maya settled on an adjective.

"I know," Riley squealed. "Lucas is the absolute sweetest."

"I got my books," Maya changed the subject. "It seems like way too much work for missing one day."

"I know, Abrams and Chasten really pounded us with homework."

"How come Zay was the one that brought my stuff?"

"I was going to, but he insisted on doing it himself. He said something about making sure I didn't catch whatever you had, but I think that was just a cover-up."

"What do you mean?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

"I think Zay likes you," she said forwardly.

"Yeah, I like him too, that's why we're friends."

"No, I think he likes you as more than a friend. I also think maybe you like him back."

"No, Zay and I are just friends."

"Oh, yeah? Prove it," Riley demanded.

"How on earth am I supposed to prove that?" Maya furrowed her eyebrows.

"You can prove it by naming the person you do have a crush on."

"No," Maya tried to brush it off. "I'm not gonna tell you."

"Come on, Peaches. I tell you everything," Riley pushed.

Maya shook her head. 

"No, if I tell you it will affect our relationship."

Riley shot her a look.

"Maya, I'll love you no matter what."

"Fine," Maya took a deep breath. "It's you. I have a crush on you, Riley."

"Oh," Riley was taken slightly aback. "That's not really what I was expecting, but, but it's ok, and, umm, I guess..." She rambled on and started getting flustered.

"Relax, Riles. I don't actually have a crush on you. I just did to get you to stop nagging me about who I like."

"Do you like girls though?"

"I like people," Maya explained. "And the person I like now is a guy, but I can't be with him."

"You should go for it. Maybe you'll be surprised," Riley shrugged her shoulders.

"Thanks for the advice," Maya maintained her smile. "I gotta catch up on work, see you tomorrow, Riles."

Maya ended the call and sighed loudly. She knew exactly what would happen if she went for it. Riley would be devastated, Lucas would choose Riley over her, Farkle would hate her more than he does already, and Zay would pity her.

She can never let anyone else know or her life would fall apart.

"Maya?" she heard a knock on her door.

"Come in."

It was her mom who had just gotten back from her date with Shawn.

"I thought I told you not to wait up for me, baby girl."

"I know, I didn't, at least not on purpose."

"Did you eat dinner, sweetie?" her mom pushed a strand of Maya's hair behind her ear.

"No, I wasn't really hungry," Maya shrugged and looked at the ground.

"Are you still sick? Do you need to stay home from school again tomorrow?"

Maya wanted to say yes. She absolutely dreaded going back to school. But she also didn't want her mom to worry about her too much.

"No," she shook her head. "I just need to sleep for a while."