Proof

"Hey, Lucas, thanks for making these pancakes for me," Maya said clearing her place.

"It's no problem. It's what my mama makes when I'm sick or have a bad day."

"Would you mind if I take a shower?"

"Sure, the bathroom is down at the end of the hall. Towels are in the closet."

Maya ate and did the dishes as he went to shower. She then took his shirt and put it in the washer to try and get the bloodstains out. 

She changed into a new pair of pajamas

"Hey, Maya?" Lucas knocked on her door.

Maya looked and saw him with only his sweatpants on. She found herself looking slightly too long at his well-defined abs.

"Huh?" she asked, realizing he had said something.

"Were you able to get the stain out of my shirt?" he repeated.

"I don't know yet. It's still in the machine, but I think I have a sweatshirt you can borrow."

She went into her closet and searched around before finding what she was looking for.

"Borrow?" Lucas asked when she handed her the sweatshirt. "Maya, this is mine."

"And you left it here so now it's mine." 

He left it at her house one day sophomore year and ever since she's claimed it as hers.

"It's my most comfortable sweatshirt so I'm gonna want it back," she informed him.

"Fine, keep it. I'll be okay until morning," he chuckled to himself. "I'm gonna go crash on the couch. Goodnight, Maya."

"Wait, why don't you sleep in here with me?"

"Alright, I just have to grab a blanket and pillow."

Lucas went out into the closet to get them and started to set up on the floor.

"You idiot, I meant on the bed, not the floor."

"On the bed with you? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, the bed is way more comfortable than the floor."

Lucas got in the bed beside her after figuring it was okay since she was comfortable with him being there.

The laid there in silence for a few moments until Maya spoke.

"Why did you really come here?"

"I told you, my mama would've thrown me in the shed for fighting."

"That's a lie. Your mom would've been mad until you explained it was to protect me. Then she would've pinched your cheeks for being a good little boy."

"Alright fine, maybe she wouldn't have been as mad as I said. I guess I came here to show you I care about you. 

"I already knew that you care about all your friends."

"I do, but I'm talking about you specifically. The whole time I went out with Riley, I had no idea that you liked me and I had no idea that you were hurting. So I thought maybe you didn't think I cared about you in particular."

"You remembered that? That I liked you?" she asked slightly embarrassed.

"Of course, I remember the things you say because you're important to me. Do you still like me?"

"I do, but I can't," she said sounding pained. "You'll never like me like that."

"Maya, I think you are the strongest, most beautiful person in the world."

"You do?" she asked, rolling over to face him.

 Lucas connected their lips for a moment before pulling away.

"I meant what I said. Was that proof enough?"

Maya responded by kissing him back. She traced his already bare chest with her hands and climbed on top of him.

She reached for the hem of her shirt.

"Are you sure?" Lucas stopped her.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I'm sure."