Secret's Out

Maya woke up in her bed that had clean sheets on it. She had fallen asleep in Zay's arms after sobbing to him for about an hour. He must have cleaned her sheets and put her in her bed.

She checked her phone for the time, 9:27. She didn't see any sign of Zay so she decided to call him.

"Hey, Maya," he immediately picked up.

"Where'd you go last night?" 

"I had an early practice today and I didn't want to wake you," he explained.

"It's cool."

"I'm really sorry, Maya."

"Don't worry about it. You don't have to be with me every second, you're not my babysitter," she joked.

"Hey, listen, there's someone at my door. I gotta go," she hung up.

"Can you chill out for a fucking minute," she went to answer it, but the knocking continued.

She opened the door to find Riley.

"Riley, what are you doing here?"

Riley instantly wrapped her arms around Maya.

"Is everything okay with you, Riley?"

"Is everything okay with you? How could I not see it?"

Riley was clearly frustrated with herself for some reason.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm sorry I didn't notice all these changes sooner, you're cutting yourself and you're getting so thin."

"Did Zay tell you that? I'm gonna kill him."

"No, it was Farkle."

"Who the fuck told Farkle?"

"I don't know, but that's not what matters right now."

"Actually, it's the only thing that matters. It determines whose head I'm gonna rip off after Zay's."

"Riley, I got your text. I got here as fast as I could," Lucas walked in.

"Great, now the cowboy is here."

Not shortly after, Farkle walked in, and then Zay followed.

"Okay, why is everyone at my house?"

"Riley texted us that she was coming to talk to you and that we should all be here," Lucas answered.

"Zay, what did you say and who did you say it to?" she said, trying to stay calm.

"I was talking to Lucas at practice this morning, and I told him about the cutting because I was concerned and needed advice."

"Ok, so now please explain to me how everybody else knows."

"I told Farkle cause he's a genius, and I thought he'd know what to do," Lucas explained.

"And I told Riley cause I thought she should know since she is your best friend," Farkle said.

Despite his sincere sounding voice, Maya could tell that there were other motives for telling Riley, but she didn't know what.

"You can tell us when you're hurting, you always help us," Riley told her.

"I know, I don't know why I didn't come to you."

"Do you want to tell us why you did?" Lucas asked.

"No, not yet. I'm not ready."

"That's okay. In the meantime, do you want to get something to eat at Topanga's?" Zay asked.

"Sure, let me just grab my sweatshirt."

They all started walking, but Farkle stayed behind with Maya.

"What I said back there was total bullshit," Farkle spoke.

"Why did you really tell Riley?"

"I thought that if she knew you were a cutter she'd try to stay away from you for good. You don't deserve her, you don't deserve anything."

Maya felt a pang of pain in her chest from what he said, but she continued to keep a brave face. 

"We'll see who doesn't deserve anything."