Trust

Maya slowly opened her door to let Lucas in, still confused as to why he was at her door.

"Why can't you go home?"

"My mom would kill me."

She was going to ask why, but she knew when he stepped into the light of her apartment. His left eye was swollen, he'd surely have a black eye tomorrow. His fist was already bruising black and blue.

"Oh my god, what happened?" she brushed her hand over his eye lightly.

"I got into a fight with Farkle," he winced slightly.

"I'll get you some ice," she went into her freezer and filled a bag. "Why would you get into a fight with Farkle?"

He gratefully took the ice pack from her and placed it on his eye.

"Zay told me what he's been doing to you."

"Oh, well you didn't have to beat him up for me."

Lucas just shrugged.

"Have you been by yourself all day? What have you been doing?" he asked.

He had really been asking if she had been keeping herself well or had been cutting again, but the answer was only slightly better.

"I've been in bed watching tv. The first time I got up today was to let you in."

"All day?"

She nodded her head in confirmation.

"Why don't I make us pancakes?"

He was sure she was starving even if she wouldn't admit it to him.

"It's almost midnight."

"Come on, think of it as a midnight snack," he reasoned with her.

Knowing she wasn't going to win this one, she silently sat down at the table and let Lucas make the pancakes.

"It scares me, Lucas."

"What does?"

"When you turn into Texas Lucas."

"I was trying to defend you and keep Farkle from pulling shit like that ever again."

"You couldn't have talked it out, or talked with me?"

"I'm sorry, Maya. I lost my temper."

"You can't go around beating people up and scaring them into doing what you want," she continued.

"I apologized, what else do you want me to say?"

"I don't know," she had her head in her hands and was almost in tears. "I just can't be around someone like that again."

"Again?" he furrowed his eyebrows. "What does that mean?"

"Nothing, I just, I can't," she started crying.

Lucas rushed to her side to console her.

"I promise you, that is not who I am."

"But-"

"But nothing, I would never hurt you. Do you trust me on that?"

Maya looked at him and the concern in his eyes before slowly nodding her head.

"I do, I trust you," she managed to stop crying.

"Good, cause your pancakes are gonna burn if don't take them off the pan right now," he grinned before attending to them.

"Do you want syrup?" he asked as he placed a plate of pancakes in front of her.

"Of course, dummy," she sniffled. "What monster eats pancakes without syrup?"