A Different Team Seven

The first time Sakura realized that her team wasn't the same Team Seven she had in her old life was when she entered their meeting spot at six in the morning sharp. The crisp, young morning air that normally housed a sleepy undertone was cut through by the tension brewing on the training grounds. Except this time, the glares weren't passing between Naruto and Sasuke. The vicious looks were shot between Sasuke and the kunoichi on Team Seven, changing a fundamental element in Team Seven's early relationship. 

In her past life, Sakura was used to being a bystander while Naruto and Sasuke's rival-like bond grew from bitter hate to something more deep and resonating. Granted, she never really knew what their relationship was, but she knew what it was like to have a rival. Ino, her own opponent in the many contests of life, had a relationship with her that not only included competition but also, in an odd way, understanding. However, Naruto and Sasuke's relationship was way more turbulent then her and Ino's, and stronger in some other ways. 

In this new life, though, it appeared that she was not the bystander anymore. And no, she wasn't like a rival to Sasuke either. It was just plain hatred. It would have been mutual too if Sakura had forgotten all the feelings she had for Sasuke in her past life. Yes, she no longer had a silly, girlish crush on the boy. But still, she had memories of being closer to him, at least as an acquaintance. So on her side, it wasn't so much hate as dislike. Which is almost the same thing, Sakura sighed. Whatever, I'm not in the mood to deal with my feelings. 

_______________________

By the time Kakashi finally arrived, both Sasuke and Sakura stood on opposite ends of the grounds occasionally shooting a violent sneer at each other. Naruto, meanwhile, made himself comfortable under the branches of a towering tree and fell into a shallow nap. 

"Well, it looks like we have a lot of work to do, don't we?" Kakashi looked around the training grounds with a strained smile, noting the heavy atmosphere. As if he was summoned, Naruto's eyes flickered open. He jumped up, pointing an accusing finger at their sensei. 

"Hey! You're late!" The jinchuriki glanced at the sky and noticed how much lighter it had become. "By hours!"

"Sorry," Their sensei apologized, rubbing his head sheepishly. "I forgot to feed my dog, so I had to go back to my house and then come all the way back here."

"How long does it take to feed your dog?!"

The jonin ignored the question and dug around his backpack, pulling out a pair of silver bells tied by a red string. All of the genin stopped what they were doing, peering closer in curiosity. Well, all of them except Sakura, who already knew what exercise they were going to do. Kakashi jingled the bells a little bit, likely amused by the blunt confusion exhibited by the young ninja. 

"This is your first mission as a team. Your objective: Steal these two tiny bells from my hands by noon. If you do not succeed, you will be tied to one of those posts right over there," he pointed to the three wooden poles in the middle of the grounds. "As I said yesterday, whoever does not get a bell will also be disqualified and sent back to the academy."

Naruto and Sasuke stared in confusion. 

"...But there are only two bells. " Naruto hesitantly pointed out. Their sensei nodded in understanding. 

"Correct, Naruto. At least one of you will be tied to that post and sent back. That's not saying that it won't be all of you, though."

As soon as the words left his sensei's mouth, Sasuke turned and looked pointedly at Sakura. Wait, what?  Her eyes widened as she saw a plan being calculated by the Uchiha. Is he singling me out to be the person to go back?  Her teeth clenched and her eyes narrowed. Not if I have anything to say about it.