Of the Old and the New

"I'm going to only ask this one more time," Tsunade clenched her fist. "Why should I trust you?"

It took a while for her sensei to recover after Sakura's bold statement, but once things had settled in her mind, she snapped back like a rubber band. The kunoichi could tell that her mentor was at war with herself, a part of her taking what Sakura said seriously. The bigger part of her, though, seemed to be suspicious to the core. 

"You keep the scroll in a jewelry box," Sakura recited, pulling bits and pieces about the scroll from her memory. "Shizune gave it to you as a birthday present. You had first thought of the idea when your fiance, Dan, died from-"

"Okay, stop," Tsunade voice slit through Sakura's. "I believe you. Just who are you, and why did I send you back?" She paused, fixing an accusing stare at Sakura. She's trying to intimidate me, the young genin realized. She is still trying to make sure I'm not a threat. 

"I'll tell you everything," the rose-haired girl promised, motioning Tsunade to come closer. "But I can't out here. Anybody could be listening," she whispered to the Sannin. The older medic nodded, shifting her eyes subconsciously to the alleyways and dark corners surrounding them. 

"We'll talk at my place," she asserted, leaving no room for question. "Follow me. It's right down this path."

The older woman took off, leaving Sakura to hastily follow her in the darkness. Together they traveled by rooftop, the moonlight illuminating the deserted streets and the sleeping village. From a notably tall rooftop, the young kunoichi was gifted an immense view of Konoha, all the way down to the outdoor training grounds, with large, circular arenas and shadowy daylight meeting spots. As she got lost in the unusual view of the grounds, she almost missed a minuscule flash of light emit from the dense trees. What was that? Her curious jade eyes scanned the grounds once more. Unfortunately, her search was cut short when an impatient voice called out to her from below. 

"Haruno!" Tsunade called out, trying to grab her attention. "We're here!"

"Coming!" Sakura swept down from the rooftop, chastising herself for losing focus. She landed in front of a modest building, tall yet clearly aging. The structure looked like it was on the verge of collapsing, with cracks splintering across its beaten walls and dimly lit windows barely reaching the size of Sakura's head. It makes sense, though, she rationalized. We are on the outskirt of Konoha. Most of the upscale inns are in the heart of town. 

She followed Tsunade through the creaking doors, giving a polite nod to the receptionist, and speed walking up the ancient oak stairs. The real question is why sensei would choose to stay here. The kunoichi wasn't surprised when they walked into a bare, lifeless room. The chambers mimicked the rest of the inn, with stressed floorboards and bare stone walls. Closing the door, the legendary medic walked over to two chairs carelessly placed across from each other, sitting down and motioning Sakura to do the same. 

Once they were both comfortable, Tsunade repeated her question. "Tell me who you are." The Sannin watched the young girl carefully, caramel eyes zooming in on her green ones. Shifting nervously, Sakura felt at a loss of what to say. Come on, you can do it, she encouraged herself. You were chosen for this mission for a reason. 

"As I told you, my name is Sakura Haruno," she started off. "I am, or I was, your student. You trained me in medical ninjutsu and passed down your knowledge of poisons and remedies to me. You also taught me how to use your chakra enhanced strength and," she tapped her forehead, "Strength of a Hundred Seal."

"You have Strength of a Hundred?" Tsunade looked at her inquisitively. "I taught you that?"

"Yes, but you can't see it because I haven't gathered enough chakra yet," the time-traveler confirmed. "And yes, you taught it to me. We were very close." She tried to keep her voice professional and distant, but she would be lying if she said she didn't feel a pang of longing for her sensei. The one that she left behind.