6) Trip to the Leaky Cauldron

This chapter is dedicated to idk_what_im_doing20, who was the first, and hopefully not the last, to vote. Thank you.

I was rudely awoken by Harry shouting "Hagrid!"

I rolled over from my spot on the floor and looked up. Hagrid was being attacked by an owl.

"Pay him," Hagrid said to the sofa.

"What?" Harry asked, but I understood.

"Give him 5 Knuts," Hagrid said.

I'd already started digging in Hagrids pockets for the money. He had showed them to me earlier. They're coins. The gold ones are galleons. 17 silver Sickles to a galleon and 29 Knuts to a sickle. Knuts are the little bronze ones.

I pulled out bunches of keys, slug pellets, balls of string, peppermint humbugs, and finally teabags before finding the coins.

I put the Knuts in the small pouch on the owls leg, smiling as it flew away. Harry looked amazed, baffled, and happy all at the same time.

Hagrid yawned, "Best be off, boys, lots ter do today, gotta get up ter London an' buy all yer stuff fer school."

I was happy until Harry said he didn't have any money. That's when I realized that I also didn't have any money.

"Don't worry about that, Arry," Hagrid said, responding to my friend, "D'yeh think yer parents didn't leave yeh anything?"

"But if their house was destroyed—"

"They didn' keep their gold in the house, boy! Nah, first stop fer us is Gringotts. Wizards' bank. Have a sausage, they're not bad cold — an' I wouldn' day no teh a bit o' yer birthday cake, neither."

Harry looked like he wanted to say something but I spoke first, "I haven't got any money either, Hagrid."

Hagrid stared at me for a second before saying, "Hogwarts will give you access to is vaul fer school supplies. If yer get good marks someone may sponsor yer, so yer can get other things too."

I smiled slightly, happy I'd be able to get the things I needed.

Hagrid has us grab all of our things. Before we left, I handed Harry his gift. It was a soccer ball. It wasn't inflated, but I could swipe Gabe's air-pump.

I love soccer, or in Harry's case, football. We played every day with the other kids at school. It was the only time we weren't bullied. I was good at it and Harry was decent too. He seemed to always know where the ball was, even in a mass of legs. It was freaky.

He smiled at it, "Thanks."

I smiled back, "No problem. Now we can play outside of school, too."

Harry smiled even wider and instantly sat in the boat, examining the ball.

I followed and sat in the boat. Hagrid used his pink umbrella (I think it had a wand in it) and we shot off like a jet-ski.

Hagrid got us a taxi and we eventually got to the train station that would take us to Diagon Alley.

"What's on the lis'?" Hagrid asked, looking at Harry (I think Harry is Hagrid's favorite) and smiling.

Harry looked confused so I leaned over and whispered "It's in the letter."

Harry nodded and pulled out the list, starting to read, "Uniform. First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

Course books

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book Of Spells (Grade 1)

By Miranda Goshawk

A history of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi

By Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

By Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection

By Quentin Trimble

Other equipment

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescopes

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

"Can we buy all of this in London?" Harry asked.

"If yeh know where to go," Hagrid said.

I went to London once with my mom before she died. We went to this candy place, and she bought me all the blue candy she could afford. It was probably the best day ever.

After some trouble with getting onto the train we made it to a small bar called the Leaky Cauldron.

I had a feeling that no one else could see it.

We walked inside and everyone waved at Hagrid when we walked in.

"The usual, Hagrid?" The bartender asked.

"Can't, Tom, I'm on Hogwarts business," Hagrid said, placing a hand on Harry's and I's shoulders, nearly making us fall.

Tom's eyes widened when he looked at Harry, "Good Lord. Is this — can this be—?

All was still and quiet.

"Bless my soul," Tom whispered, "Harry Potter... what an honor."

Tears were glistening in his eyes as he ran around the counter and grabbed Harry's hands, "Welcome back, Mr. Potter, welcome back."

Harry looked a little panicked. And confused. Definitely confused.

After a few moments of silence everyone rushed to shake Harry's hand. One guy even went twice.

Then I saw the purple turban. I felt myself pale and my hands went sweaty. For a moment it seemed like I was frozen.

"Professor Quirrell!" Hagrid smiled, "Harry, Professor Quirrell will be one of your teachers at Hogwarts."

Oh no.

I stared at him with wide eyes, and he glanced back for a second. That glance told me all I needed to know.

This man has a head on the back of his head!

So I've decided to change the update schedule. I'm going to publish one chapter every other day. My original plan was to publish one chapter every week, but that's too long. Too boring. Also, thanks to the person who voted on every chapter, including the introduction. I mostly expected people to ignore that. I've got reads on here, which is awesome. I was even 333rd iin pholsophersstone at one point, and that amazed me. Thank you to the few people who have actually read this. It means a lot to me.

Till Wednesday my guys gals and non-binary pals. Till Wednesday.