Cinco de Mayo special

This does not follow the timeline of the story. Takes place on Cinco de Mayo, and has no importance or relevance to the plot. Cinco de Mayo isn't as large a holiday as some of the others, but I plan on doing one for several holidays, and this is mostly just an experiment to see how it plays out. Also, it isn't in first person view.

"Why are we celebrating some random Mexican holiday?" Ron scowled, tugging on a poncho that he had been forced to wear.

"We're celebrating Mexican culture and heritage, Ronald!" Hermione snapped, happily pulling a poncho over her own head.

Percy looked down at his poncho, "I am wearing a blanket. When can I take it off?"

Ron motioned towards Percy, "Even the Mexican doesn't want to wear the blanket!"

Harry tilted his head, "He isn't Mexican."

Ron blinked once. Twice. "What?"

Percy smirked, "I'm not Mexican."

Ron furrowed his brows, "I was way off."

"Chiron says my dad is white," Percy grinned. "My mom was black."

Harry shook his head, "Jeez, Ron, don't just assume people's ethnicity."

Hermione shot Harry a look, then said, "I'm assuming none of you know what Cinco de Mayo is?"

Percy raised a hand as if he were in class, and waited until Hermione sighed and motioned for him to talk, then said, "Cinco de Mayo is May fifth. It's when we celebrate Mexican culture and heritage."

Harry snorted, and Hermione frowned, "On May fifth, 1862, Mexico beat France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War."

"So, Mexico's Independence Day?" Percy grinned.

"No," Hermione watched Percy's grin falter. "It celebrates one battle, not the separation of Mexico from original rulers."

Harry tugged at his poncho, "I think I put my blanket on backwards."

Hermione sighed, "Do none of you care about Mexican culture, heritage, history, or anything, really?"

"We care about all of that, Hermione," Ron said. "We just don't want to learn about it in a way that puts us to sleep faster than a lecture from Professor Binns."

Hermione stared at them for a moment, then pulled out her wand. She quickly made an Iris-Message, "Show me Owner of the Moon's clip on Cinco de Mayo Celebration." Video above.

They tilted their heads at the video, clearly more immersed now that there were videos and short facts.

"My mom used to make blue tacos on Cinco de Mayo," Percy smiled softly. "Then we'd go out during the celebration and watch the dances and things. We'd always find this one family there. Esperanza Valdez and her son, Leo. He's a little younger than we are." He frowned suddenly. "Esperanza died when I was nine. She was nice."

Harry blinked, "How'd she die?"

"She owned a mechanic shop," Percy explained. "It caught fire somehow, when she and Leo were inside. She died, but thankfully Leo was fine. The police blamed him for some reason, but had no actual proof he did it. I don't think he did. He adored her." He glanced up thoughtfully, "I wonder how he's doing."

After a moment of silence, Ron grinned, "Why are we wearing the ponchos when we could be wearing one of those dresses?"

I imagine this taking place during their first year, though there may be some inconsistencies with the time, so let's not worry about it. It's cannon for this series, but isn't really relevant to the plot. Oh! Percy also knows Leo. Which I love. I can just imagine him seeing that picture of Sammy, and immediately placing at as an older Leo, and just being super confused. It would be adorable.