40) Bye-Bye Norbert

We were all nervous about the smile that lurked on Draco's face. We both knew I'd get in trouble too. I knew that he would eventually say something. He knew that I would be willing to join in on the punishment. Neither of us would be mad.

Still, none of us wanted punishment, so we tried to reason with Hagrid.

"Just let him go," I urged. "Set him free."

"I can't," Hagrid said. "He's too little. He'd die."

The dragon had grown three times the size in just a week. Smoke was already curling out of its nostrils. Hagrid also hadn't been doing his job. He was too busy taking care of the dragon. His hut was a mess because of this thing.

"I've decided to call him Norbert," Hagrid looked at the dragon with misty eyes. "He really knows me now, watch. Norbert! Norbert! Where's Mommy?"

Ron leaned over and whispered to Harry and I, "He's lost his marbles."

"Hagrid," Harry said loudly, "give it two weeks and Norbert's going to be as long as your house. Malfoy could go to Dumbledore at any moment."

Hagrid bit his lip, "I — I know I can't keep him forever, but I can't jus dump him, can't."

I suddenly turned to Ron, "Charlie."

"You're losing it, too," Ron said. "I'm Ron, remember?"

"No — Charlie — your brother, Charlie. In Romania. Studying dragons. We could send Norbert to him. Charlie can take care of him and then put him back in the wild!"

"Brilliant!" Ron said. "How about it, Hagrid?"

Hagrid agreed in the end.

Wednesday night I was sitting alone with Hermione and Harry in the Gryffindor common room. I'd taken to drawing pictures to go along with the notes Hermione took, adding something a little interesting.

At midnight the portrait hole opened and Ron appeared as he pulled off the invisibility cloak. He'd been helping Hagrid feed Norbert.

"It bit me!" Ron showed us his hand, which was wrapped in a bloody handkerchief. "I'm not going to be able to hold a quill for a week. I tell you, that dragon's the most horrible animal I've ever met, but the way Hagrid goes on about it, you'd think it was a fluffy little bunny rabbit. When it bit me he told me off for frighting it. And when I left, he was singing it a lullaby."

There was a tap on the window.

"It's Hedwig!" Harry hurried time let the owl in. "She'll have Charlie's answer!"

Harry read the note aloud for us:

"Dear Ron,

How are you? Thanks for the letter — I'd be glad to take the Norwegian Ridgeback, but it won't be easy getting him here. I think the best thing will be to send him over with some friends of mine who are coming to visit me next week. Trouble is, they mustn't be seen carrying an illegal dragon.

Could you get the Ridgeback up the tallest tower at midnight on Saturday? They can meet you there and take him away while it's still dark.

Send me an answer as soon as possible.

Love, Charlie."

We all looked at each other.

"We've got the Invisibility Cloak," Harry said. "It shouldn't be too difficult — I think the cloak's big enough to cover two of us and Norbert. Maybe Percy, too."

Curse my tiny body.

The next morning, Ron's hand had swelled to twice the size. He wasn't sure whether he could go to Madam Pomfrey or not. Could she tell it was a dragon bite? But he had no choice that afternoon. The cut had become a nasty shade of green. Norbert's fangs appeared to be poisonous.