28) Haley

This chapter is dedicated to Haley. May you see better days in Heaven.

November was cold. The lake was the color of chilled steel, and the mountains were a striking icy gray. The ground was frosted in the mornings.

I've always gotten cold and hot easily. Probably something to do with my father. This was not a fun time for me.

On Saturday, the first quidditch game would be played. Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Harry versus Luke. This was going to be fun.

Harry was nervous. I could tell. But he was happy, that was obvious.

I found myself sitting with Harry, Ron, and Hermione by my favorite tree beside the lake. Hermione had conjured up a small flame for us, helping keep us warm.

We had our backs to it, and scooted closer together once Snape limped over.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

Snape scowled and took a book from Harry, saying something about no library books out of the school. I wasn't really paying attention, instead staring at the dark waters.

"I'm going for a swim," I said, interrupting Ron.

Harry and Ron stared at me like I was crazy. Hermione spoke up, "Bring me a sea-shell, will you? The prettiest one you can find. I made a bet with a friend from back home. She said I wouldn't be able to find one. I figure there are some down there, but I can't make it to the bottom."

I nodded, "Will do, Hermione."

I pulled off my robes, socks, shoes, sweater, and basically everything but my shirt and pants. Then I dove in, Harry and Ron freaking out behind me, while Hermione continued to calmly read her book.

The water was cold, but it felt nice for once. Refreshing. I saw fish swim by, and I swam down to the bottom.

Then I saw an underwater city. Merpeople, but not the ones from Disney, were floating about. They bowed down to me and I said, "Please don't bow. I'm not quite that princely." The merpeople laughed and bowed anyways.

A small merchild swam up to me with a sea-shell in his hand, "I heard the lady ask you for the prettiest sea-shell. Is this one okay?"

I immediately smiled, "It's perfect." The boy smiled, handed me the sea-shell, and swam off. I looked at the beautiful shell. It had violet tips, fading to a white center. It really was perfect.

I swam around some more, looking around at everything. I talked to Bob the giant squid, who offered to bring me up to the shore faster. I figured that would be fun, so I said yes.

A tentacle wrapped around my waist, lifting me through the icy depths. The squid popped its head up and placed me on the ground by my friends.

I waved goodbye and Bob waved back before plunging back into the icy depths.

Harry and Ron were staring very wide-eyed, so I just ignored them. Instead, I handed Hermione the shell she had asked for.

She smiled happily, which made me smile too. While she examined the shell, I dried myself with my wand, so the boys wouldn't be suspicious. Then I pulled on the clothes I had taken off earlier.

We sat together for awhile longer before going back in.

I ended up walking around the castle alone. Just exploring. Suddenly, I could practically feel Hogwarts screaming at me. I jumped and placed my hand on the wall, letting her lead me.

I found a girl crying behind a statue. She was silent and you wouldn't have noticed her if you didn't look close.

She would have been two years above me. A Ravenclaw. She had brown hair and a kind face.

I sat down beside her, "Hello."

She quickly wiped up her tears, "What do you want, kid?!"

"You're not much older than me."

"Answer the question."

"Fine. I want to know why you're crying in an empty corridor while everyone else enjoying their dinner."

"You wouldn't get it. Just go away."

"Nah, I think I'll stay. Tell me, what exactly would I not get?" I asked, feeling a little curious.

"You wouldn't understand! I'm a freak! I shouldn't exist. I'm terrible!"

"You're terrible? Well, then so am I. I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm not exactly supposed to exist either. I imagine in a different way than whatever you're going on about, but I'm not."

I glanced around, making sure no one was looking, "You know all of us who go to that summer camp? It's not chosen randomly. There's a reason. We're... well, we're demigods. And if that wasn't bad enough, I'm not supposed to exist in the godly world either."

The girl looked confused, "A... demigod? What's that?"

"Half-god, half human. My father is a god. He wasn't supposed to have any children. Here I am."

The girl looked extremely confused, but I had a feeling she didn't doubt me, "They say Hecate blessed wizards, all of this time ago. Is Hecate a god?"

"No, Hecate is a goddess. Or, a titanness, I guess. Eh. She doesn't mind what you call her, Dumbledore says. She's a woman. She's the goddess of magic. And a whole bunch of other stuff. My dad... he's Poseidon. One of the big three. None of them are supposed to have kids. I'd prefer if you didn't tell anyone that, though. It could get me killed. So... why are you not supposed to exist?"

The girl looked a little surprised, but answered me, "I... I shouldn't have gone out into the woods. I really shouldn't have. There was a werewolf... they can turn people. Turn me. I'm a werewolf. I'm a danger. I can't even control it."

She started crying again, looking at me with wide-eyes and regret.

"Okay? That's what's got you so worked up? So what you're a werewolf!? It doesn't change who you are, does it? You're you, and that's just fine."

The girl's eyes widened and I continued, "You obviously haven't had to deal with this very long. I'll help you out. Professor Snape acts a lot meaner than he actually is. He's a demigod too, actually. He'll help us make a potion to calm your pain and transformation. Then you and I will find someplace where you can transform safely. Is that okay?"

She nodded and we stood up, heading to dinner together. Suddenly, she asked, "What's your name?"

"Percy Jackson. Well, Perseus, but I hate that name. What's your name?"

"Haley Edwards.... thank you, Percy. This really does mean more to me than you could ever know."

I smiled slightly and we walked up to the front of the great hall to talk to Dumbledore together.

Haley was a girl in my class at school. She was killed by her father (or uncle, I've heard both but I was first told it was her father) on October 29. We weren't the closest, but she was amazing. Funny. My school isn't a big one. We all are part of each other. These are the people I've grown up with. Haley included. I felt that if she couldn't live with us in our lives anymore, maybe she could live with Percy and Harry instead.

In loving memory of Haley.