46) Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare

We sat in the Gryffindor common room nervously after dinner. I'd been pretty exhausted all day. Running had taken more out of me than I thought it would. My friends had tried to convince me not to go, to get some rest. I told them that I was going anyway.

I told them that I had seen the challenges in my dreams. I was going.

I ended up using Ron's leg as a pillow. They all sat silently while I slept. I didn't dream. That was a good thing. I would have had nightmares otherwise.

Ron shook me awake and I sat up groggily, staring blankly at Harry with the cloak.

Then I saw Neville on the floor.

"He tried to stop us. But we have to do this. It's just full Body-Bind," Hermione said, looking sadly down at Neville. I nodded and got under the Cloak with my friends.

We were all very nervous. Every shadow looked like Filch. Every breeze sounded like Peeves. Oh that rhymed.

We saw Mrs. Norris smiling near the top of one of the sets of stairs.

Ron whispered into Harry and I's ears, "Oh, let's kick her, just this once." Harry shook his head. We all carefully avoided the cat. She even turned her lamp like eyes towards us, but she did nothing.

We didn't see anyone else until we climbed up the stairs to the third floor corridor. Peeves was messing with the carpet so people would trip.

"Who's there?" He said suddenly. He narrowed his eyes, "Know you're there, even if I can't see you. Are you ghoulie or ghostie or wee student beastie?"

He rose through the air, squinting at us.

"Should call Filch, I should, of something's a-creeping around unseen."

"Peeves," Harry whispered in a hoarse voice, making me jump a little, "the Bloody Baron has his own reasons for being invisible."

Peeves almost fell out of the air from shock. He caught himself and hovered a foot off of the ground.

"So sorry, your bloodiness, Mr. Baron, Sir," he said greasily, "My mistake, my mistake — I didn't see you —of course I didn't, you're invisible — forgive old Peevsie his little joke, sir."

"I have business here, Peeves," Harry croaked. "Stay away from this place tonight."

"I will, sir, I most certainly will," Peeves said, rising in the air. "Hope your business goes well, Baron, I'll not bother you."

He flew off.

"Brilliant, Harry!" Ron whispered.

A few seconds later, and we were outside the door to the third floor corridor. The door was already ajar.

"Well, there you are," Harry said quietly, "Snape's already got past fluffy."

The open door made this so much scarier.

Harry turned back to us, "If you want to go back, I won't blame you. You can take the Cloak, I won't need it now."

"Don't be stupid," Ron and I said.

"We're coming," Hermione said.

Harry pushed the door open.

The dog's heads turned in our direction as the door creaked. The low rumbling of their growls filled the air. It sniffed the air, knowing we were there even though it couldn't see us.

"What's that at its feet?" Hermione whispered.

"Looks like a harp," Ron said. "Snape must have left it there."