34) The Run

We had to walk more slowly the next night. I let Hogwarts lead me, and I lead my friends. But it was still much more difficult for us to walk under a blanket in the dark.

Finally, I saw the suit of armor that had stood by the door. We stepped inside and I sat on the floor again, wishing I could see Harry's family too.

"See?" Harry happily said, looking at the mirror.

"I can't see anything."

"Look! Look at them all... there are loads of them..."

"I can only see you."

"Look in it properly, go on, stand where I am."

Ron immediately looked excited at whatever image he saw, "Look at me!"

"Can you see your family all standing around you?"

"No — I'm alone — but I'm different — I look older — and I'm Head Boy!"

"What?"

"I am — I'm wearing the badge like Bill used to — and I'm holding the House Cup and the Quidditch Cup — I'm the Quidditch captain, too!"

Ron turned to look excitedly at Harry, "Do you think this mirror shows the future?"

I interrupted unhappily, "I hope not. I see nothing. That would mean I'd be dead or something."

Harry shook his head, "It can't. All my family are dead — let me have another look—"

"You had it to yourself all last night, give me a bit more time."

"You're only holding the Quidditch Cup, what's interesting about that? I want to see my parents."

"Don't push me—"

There was a sudden sound outside. Ron quickly pulled the cloak over the three of us, and I was thankful for the warmth that came with this action.

It was really cold in the castle at night, and my friends looked at me with worry.

"Just cold," I whispered, shivering

Mrs. Norris quietly walked into the room, her yellow eyes piercing the darkness.

After what seemed like forever, she left.

"This isn't safe — she might have gone for Filch, I bet she heard us. Come on."

Ron pulled us out of the room.

I broke apart from my friends fairly quickly, shivering even more when I walked towards the wall. Hogwarts let me in and I walked slowly to my room.

I climbed beneath the sheets, shivering. Hogwarts was a very cold place.

I went to bed feeling cold.

I hung out in the Gryffindor common room, sketching the mirror.

Harry and Ron talked behind me, "Want to play chess, Harry?"

"No."

"Why don't we go down and visit Hagrid?"

"No... you go..."

"I know what you're thinking about, Harry. That mirror. Don't go back tonight."

"Why not?"

"I dunno, I've just got a bad feeling about it — and anyway, you've had too many close shaves already. Filch, Snape, and Mrs. Norris are wandering around. What if they walk into you? So what if they can't see you? What if you knock something over?"

"You sound like Hermione."

"I'm serious, Harry, don't go."

It was clear though that Harry had made up his mind.

A student ran up to me at lunch and said, "Snape wants to see you in his office."

I waved a goodbye to my clearly nervous friends and headed to the dungeons, shivering. It really was freezing here.

I stepped into Snape's office and saw him sitting there, a disappointed look on his face, "You demigods represent Camp Half-Blood. They come to visit here sometimes. Yet you still go and wander around at night. Now, you can accept double punishment on yourself, or I can bring this matter up with Harry. Which would you prefer?"

I frowned, "Double punishment."

Snape nodded, "Go run around Hogwarts, shorts and a tee shirt, until I tell you to stop."

My eyes widened. I'd been expecting a beating. This was much better.

I smiled happily, "Oh, thank you, Professor Snape. Thank you so very much. I'll go get to it. Thank you."

He looked confused and I quickly ran out of his office, smiling at everyone I passed. I walked through the wall, Hogwarts making twists and turns to make me get to my room as slow as possible.

Eventually I did make it there. I changed into shorts and a tee shirt, making sure to place everything in my pockets.

I walked down the stairs, already shivering. I quickly realized how much this would suck. Still though, it was better than what I was expecting.

Ron and Harry passed me, looking extremely confused.

"What are you doing?" Ron asked.

"Punishment for Snape. Gotta run laps around Hogwarts. I'll see you whenever I'm allowed to stop running," I said, waving a quick goodbye.

It was even colder outside.

I started jogging around Hogwarts, shivering more than ever before. The cold cancelled out any heat I would have felt from the run.

And I ran.

And I ran.

And I ran.

I didn't have any water on me, and I was getting tired. The moon was high in the sky by then.

And then it was the sun. Harry and Ron saw me running and stared wide eyed. I just waved them off.

But I was definitely getting thirsty.

I stumbled. Tripping into the snow. I sat there for a moment, struggling to catch my breath. But I got up after a few seconds, and kept running.

I stumbled a lot after that. I scraped my knees, hands, and elbows. My head throbbed. My lungs screamed. My tongue felt like a desert.

It was almost morning of the next day when I stumbled for the last time.

Someone caught me, and I was surprised to see Luke staring down at me with worry. He sat me down gently and pulled out a water bottle.

He helped press the bottle against my lips and I immediately tried to gulp it down. My headache went away and Luke had to pull away the bottle, "Slowly."

Water usually made me feel energized, but I felt as if any regular person would have. I must have been very weak.

Luke pulled his jacket off and wrapped it around my shoulders, saying, "Snape told me about you. I kinda freaked on him. I know he hasn't said you could come back in yet, but I don't care. I'll get you to your dorms."

I was too tired to say anything.

Luke lifted me up bridal style, and I quickly fell asleep in his arms.

I woke up tucked into my bed the next morning.

I think I might be cursed. My socks keep getting holes in them. It's all recent. In the past three weeks, four of my socks have suddenly decided to show my toes to the world. I do not like my toes.

I hope none of you ever get cursed. The next chapter will be up on Monday.