Chapter 5: First ...

Everyone was still shocked, but tried to be casual. Stark and Rhodes watched Renegade inhale his food.
"Tony I think I'm going back to my room. This is a lot to take in. The big guy and I have to calm down a bit.
No Code Green. Just...I-I'll go now." Banner said as he waved and went to his room. Wanda smiled kindly "Guys I think we should let Tony and Rhodey alone with Renegade. They would probably be more comfortable. I mean they have a lot of things to catch up. We can talk later to Renegade or Peter."
Everyone looked like they wanted to say no, but nodded anyways. They bid their good byes and split their ways.
Renegade's gaze went from the Avengers to Stark and Rhodes.
"Well that was delicious. What was it you say again...? Peter reminded me just one week ago...hmmmm oh I remember it now...it was...Thank You." Renegade said rather happy and proud about the fact that he could remember what Peter taught him. 'Huh so he isn't as emotionless as he seems, kinda cute.' Rhodes thought and smiled at him.
"Well Ren you're welcome." Stark said also smiling to him. It was the first time HE saw people just smiling 'kindly' at him or rather them, the others just smiled cockily or smirked before they were killed by HIM.
"Hey hey Ren why are you crying?"
Huh he...HE of all people was crying?
"I'm what...?" he said while he touched their face. There were really tears, but that can't be true. He never cried. Not even once. So why now?
"I don' know." he said and started sobbing, feeling exhausted after all this years of sealing away his emotions and being the strong one.
"Tones come on you know what to do."
"Rhodey I know, but will he let me?
I don't want to make him feel bad or uncomfortable."
"Just do it Tones."
After that Stark just nodded and hugged the boy. The boy stiffened for a moment not knowing what to do and Stark wanted to pull away, but Ren started to relax and trust Pete that this man was indeed keeping them safe and hugged him back.
It felt good. HE felt safe. Just like Pete has felt. Maybe that's why Pete told him that he liked hugs. Renegade liked HIS first hug. Maybe there will be more hugs? But HE also liked killing. Pete doesn't like it. HE had to do it anyway and liked the way blood poured out of wounds HE inflicted. Or how the live in the eyes of HIS victim seemed to fade away.
"Shhhh shhh Ren everything's alright now. I'm here, Rhodey is here, Pepper will be here too and Happy."
Pete often told Ren stories of people he knew when he couldn't sleep at nights, because of his wounds that hurt pretty badly. HE heard him tell stories about Pepper and Happy so HE kind of knew them. Just hadn't assessed and met them.
Renegade just nodded and fell asleep with a hand that went through their hair and massaged their calf. It was Rhodes'.

After a few minutes of silence Rhodey broke it by saying "Tones we should put him to bed."
"Yeah you're right Rhodey-Bear."
"I'm always right you jerk."
They laughed quietly and Tony picked the light boy up and frowned. Rhodey saw the frown, but didn't say anything.
He would ask him later. They went to Peter's and Renegade's room and put him or rather them on their bed. They covered him up with a blanket and kissed them on the forehead.
"FRI warn me of anything going on in this room. He's in distress? You warn me.
He fell out of his bed? You warn me.
He started waking up? You warn me. And so on. Got it Baby Girl?"
"Yes Boss."
"Good now let's go talk to Pep about all of this."
Rhodey nodded as they left the room.
"Hey Tones I wanted to ask you something."
Stark motioned for him to go on.
"Why did you frown when you picked Renegade up?"
He frowned again.
"He's to light Rhodey. I mean you saw him too. The clothes that fitted him are now to big and he...he hasn't aged at all."
"Yeah you-you're right. He looks so young and small, but he got through so many bad things. 3 years passed and he still looks the same, but changed so much."
"We have to help him James.
We will never lose him again.
Not if I'm still alive, still breathing."
Rhodes just nodded. He knew that Tony was being serious.
But using his actual name showed him that he was more serious than ever.
"Rhodey I wanted to call Pep to come here, but I think we should go to her.
To the tower."
"Yeah, she's working now, but she would take off the rest of the day when she hears of Peter. We can bring her back and she wouldn't be coming here all stressed up, because of not knowing what we would tell her."
Tony just nodded as they arrived at the garage.
They didn't want to leave them behind, but they had to. For a little while.
'The others will protect them.
Everything will be alright.' they thought as Tony started the car and drew off.
To Pepper.