All Dressed Up

With that, you finished up in the kitchen and walked to your room. You had half an hour before people started arriving so you needed to get ready fairly quickly, thankfully you could trust that Rhys would be punctual enough to finish getting things set up before people arrived. After heavy contemplation and about 4000 outfit changes you had finally selected the perfect outfit. All black (per usual) but great nonetheless. You quickly did your usual makeup, being sure to amp it up slightly, not sure if it was for David, Taika, or yourself but you didn't ponder it too much.

You stepped out of your room and into the living room that Rhys had tidied nicely and all the guys sat waiting for you. "You look nice!" Rhys said sweetly as you walked into the kitchen to get yourself a drink. Jemaine and Jonny gave similar compliments. "Aww thanks guys," You walked over to the side of the counter Taika was on to grab a beer. Expecting a similar vote of confidence. Taika instead looked at you with dark eyes and a slight smile on his face. You instantly became worried- did you have something in your teeth? Your hair? "What is it?" You asked, trying your very best to sound cool and collected. "Nothing, you just... you look really nice, Kora" Taika subtly licked his lips before taking a drink from his beer and leaning on the counter, his eyes still on you. You stewed in a familiar heat as your lips parted and you stood in silence, maintaining eye contact. You'd seemingly forgotten how to speak before quickly realizing you were in a room with 4 other people. "Thank you, Taika." You said softly, "I-uh forgot to put earrings on, I'll be right back." You quickly scurried off to your room, you could almost feel Taika's eyes burning into your back. "What was that about?" Jemaine asked as you stepped into your room. "What was what about?" Taika asked, "You look really nice Kora" Jemaine said, in a mockingly deep voice, earning a snicker from Rhys and Jonny. "Oh come on I was just being polite," Taika said dismissively, "Yeah sure" Jonny chuckled. "Keep it in your pants, Waititi" Jemaine jested, "remember that's Maaka's daughter." While Jemaine was being lighthearted, Taika cringed at the mention of your father, taking a large swing from the dark brown bottle in his hand. What was he doing?

Once your room door was shut your back was against it, you took a few deep breaths to calm yourself. "He paid you a simple compliment don't get all worked up" you told yourself. You sat down in front of your mirror putting on your hoops as you thought about what the night would hold. "God I can barely speak to Taika right now how am I going to speak to David?" As you flipped closed your left earring you gave yourself a pep talk "We are a smart, funny, beautiful young woman and we're gonna CRUSH this party." (Somehow you'd planned to 'win' at being social but you needed the confidence) with one final hair touch up you heard the door bell ring. Let's do this.
—-
Hey! Alright so I am very very very very sorry for not updating for so long but I had something of a personal emergency. Forgive the short/filler chapter but I kinda just needed an excuse to make another A/N. Thank you all so much for staying tuned in and I will update again shortly. Stay Safe!