~Donatelloxreader~ Broken hearts

#11 AHHH I UPDATED

Request: @the-shadow-1

Word count: 2106

Prompt: Donnie gets heartbroken by April then later on gets heartbroken again.

Universe: series/bay verse

Age: 18

Status: strangers to friends to lovers

Note/Warning: Mild language.

Donnie and April were the best of friends.

They did absolutely everything together. He would help her with her homework whenever she was having trouble and they would work on experiments with each other. Four hands work better than two they say. Laughing at the most cringeworthy jokes or crying at the most heartfelt times (mostly Don comforting April). They were the whole package.
His brothers would joke around with their friendship a lot.

"You guys act like an old married couple," Raph would say to his younger brother, whenever April wouldn't being the lair.
Donatello shrugged him off, trying not let the statement get to him. That was because he took it to heart. April had been there for many rough times when his brothers couldn't. She would always know what to say whenever he doubted his intelligence.
She was just perfect.

That was until Casey Jones came along.

Casey found out about the lair because of Raph. Donnie has to get consent from Splinter to strangle Raphael for what he had done. For what he had ruined. The relationship between them two.
But....
April still hung out with Donnie, with Casey.
They still had fun, with Casey.
They would still work on experiments, not with Casey. Who the hell would trust Casey with experiments?

Point is, everywhere they went, Casey was there too. Casey here, Casey there, Casey everywhere.
That was because April would ask him to tag along or he thinks he's the best and goes wherever he wants.

Until one day, they were alone, and both of them were ecstatic.

"I have some good news," Donatello said with a smile and a flower behind his ba- er shell. That day was the day he was going to do it. With countless hours of planning and strategic thinking, he was ready. He was going to confess his lifelong crush.
Even though he was in love with her, he didn't want to scare her. So just saying he liked her was a more subtle way to a graceful beginning.

"I have great news as well," she grinned, barely containing her excitement. She wanted to jump up and down in joy. Her heart soared as she was impatient to tell her best friend the greatest news.

"Uh- you go first."

"No, you said it first so you go first."

"Nah, I'm curious of what yours is," he shrugged as he looked over his shoulder to view the rose he had gotten her. As cool as he looked, his mind has running. Thoughts passed through his head, his curiosity getting hungrier at each thought. Wondering if there was that small chance, even the smallest bit, that she liked him back.
His heart fluttered at the thought at her confession. What should he do? What should he say? He mustered all of his thoughts to every case scenario to say the right thing. He wanted to feel the satisfaction of closure if he could at least say he admitted his feelings and didn't back out.

"I'm going on a date with Casey," she jumped, borderline screaming.

"You know I- wait...what?" His hand that was once on his chest, falls to his side in disappointment. He heard his heart cracking into bits as her smile impossibly got bigger. He tried his oh so hardest. He tried to be happy for his best friend that he'd been with thick and thin. Whenever the thought even barely made his way to his head, he wanted to hurl, and cry. Cry because he actually thought that he had a chance. Raph was right, he's a mutant and she's a girl. They could never get together. It was impossible.