Chapter 03

Anne left Reverend MacMillan intent on finding Edward and telling him the truth that very moment, but when she reached the sheriff's station, her courage failed her. Suppose he refused to love her anymore? Suppose he refused to love Clara? She was about to turn around and go home when Deputy Jake saw her.

"Mrs. Wilmot," he said, a big smile splayed across his face. Edward was not far away. He looked up and saw his wife and child. In spite of the trouble he and Anne had had last night and this morning, he was happy to see them. He loved Clara more than words could say, and every time he saw Anne he felt his heart take flight. He had longed for a companion who could make him feel this way, and he had found her with Anne. But still, it troubled him greatly to know she was keeping things. It wasn't right to keep secrets from your spouse.

"Hello," he said, approaching. "Is everything alright at home?" He wanted to take Anne's hand in his and hold it tight,to let her know he was no longer angry with her, but the truth was the anger had not fully subsided yet. He prayed that it would, asking God for understanding in these tough times with his new wife.

Anne cleared her throat, which had gone dry. "Yes," she said. "Fine. It is a lovely day, and I thought I'd take Clara for a stroll." She paused. She did not want to lie anymore. Edward was too good a man. The more lies she told, the harder it would hit him when he found out the truth. "We've been by the church to see Reverend MacMillan."

"Have you?" Edward asked, curious.

"Yes, I... I gave my confession."

At once, Edward's heart lightened. She had confessed! He didn't know what she had been keeping from him but knowing that she had spoken with a man of God eased his uncertainties tremendously.

"I was hoping I might speak with you alone a moment." Her eyes darted in Deputy Jake's direction.

"Of course," Edward said. Finally, she was going to tell him her secret. He was certain it could not be as bad as he'd feared. "Only give me a minute to speak with Jacob. You can wait here if you like. Here is a chair for you to sit in." He pulled a chair out for her from behind his desk, and Anne took it while Clara lay asleep in her buggy.

Edward disappeared behind a door and she heard his and Jacob's voices. She waited, looking at the assortment of papers on Edward's desk. There were so many sketches of criminals tacked to the walls. Anne's eyes fell on a set of four women. She recognized them at once; it was her family. Anne jumped from the chair so fast it fell over. She picked it up and looked closer at the wanted posters.

WANTED FOR GRAND THEFT, LARSONY, AND ARSON: THE KEATS GANG

Anne's heart went wild. Arson? Larsony? The posters referred to them as the Keats gang, yet Anne had always thought of them as a band of sisters. The poster of her was better than the last one she had seen, though it still did not resemble her very well.

Edward came out from his office, and Anne jumped again. "Ready?" he asked.

"For what?" Anne replied.

He looked at her strangely as she shook before him, wondering what had suddenly come over her. It was as if she'd seen a ghost.

"For our talk," Edward said. "You said you wished to speak with me alone."

"Oh. Um, actually, I'm not feeling very well. I'll just see you later for supper." Then she fled the station with Clara in tow before Edward could ask her any more questions.

* * *

Anne spent the rest of her day worrying about what she should say to Edward. She had not forgotten Joseph's threat. Three days, he had told her, or else he would tell Edward for her. Unless, of course, she gave him Clara. But that would never happen.