Chapter 10

Anne lay in bed, watching as her sisters each took a turn holding Clara. They made silly faces at her and doted on her as if she were their own. Emma went to the corner, where a small bag that contained her personal items sat beside her cot, and retrieved a piece of candy from her purse.

"Emma, no," Anne said. "Clara is too young for such things. She does not even have teeth yet."

Emma smiled at her sister. The women had not left Anne' side since bringing her home from the doctor. "You're silly," Emma replied. "The candy is for me." Then she popped it into her mouth and smiled at her sister, who could only laugh. Edward came into the room, and Mary handed Clara to him.

"She's perfect," Emma told him.

"Just like her mother," Edward replied. "I'm just going to lay her down in the nursery for a nap," Edward told them. Anne's mother rocked in a chair in the corner of the room. She stood up and walked over to Edward, kissing Clara's head.

"Thank you," Louise Keats said. "You saved the life of my daughter and my grandchild," she said. She pulled Edward into a massive hug.

"Well," Edward blushed. "Anne saved my life, too, so I guess that makes us even." He looked at his wife, who smiled at him from their bed. She looked perhaps a little older, after all they'd so recently been through, but he thought that only added to her charm. Her blue-green eyes sparkled back at him as her soft pink lips curved into a smile.

He took Clara into her nursery and laid her into her crib. When he turned back around, Emma and Mary were there. He jumped, laughing.

"You two are really rather good at sneaking up on a person," he told them.

"We've had much practice," Mary told him.

"Yes, you must be good at being quiet when you are wanted for grand larceny," Emma smiled. She still found the notion that she and her family were dangerous criminals utterly perplexing and funny.

"Listen," Mary said, growing serious now. "We wanted to speak with you. We haven't had much opportunity to talk with you alone since that night."

Indeed, Edward reflected, sheriffs and deputies from several nearby towns had come to Myers Corner after news of the fire spread. Luckily, Joseph was already dead and could not divulge anything potentially harmful regarding Anne or her sisters.

Edward had had to talk George into remaining quiet. His brother did not share Edward's affection for Anne or the family. He remained quiet out of respect of Edward, but he did not know how long George's silence might last. He suspected the truth might gnaw away at him until it came out.

"Mary and I," Emma began. She hesitated. Emma was not good at apologies. "The way you rushed into that fire with hardly a thought for yourself... that was very brave. We realized then how much you must love Anne."

"Yes. And when she jumped in front of that bullet for you," Mary continued, looking to Emma with misty eyes, "we knew then how much she loved you in return."

"We are sorry that we ever doubted you," Emma said. "We hope you can forgive us and that you two will be very happy together." Tears rolled out of Emma's eyes, pooling at her feet.

"Thank you," Edward said. "And I want you both to know that you are welcome here any time. Criminals or not. Though," he paused, smiling, "not being criminals would certainly be preferable." The two women laughed. Edward was right. Plus, they had made a bargain with God. Their lifestyle in exchange for Anne's life. They must now fulfill that promise.

* * *

Edward watched his wife sleeping. For the first time in a long time, she seemed peaceful. Clara lay between them, sleeping just as soundly. There was a knock on their front door. Edward stood and went to answer it. George stood outside, his face drawn.

"George," Edward said, surprised. "Come in, please."

George stepped into Edward's home, though he did not seem comfortable. His eyes kept darting around him, and his hands twitched.

"Sorry to disturb you at home unannounced," he said.

"Nonsense," said Edward. "You are always welcome here. You know that."

"Am I?" asked George.

"Why, of course," Edward responded, surprise registering on his face. "Why would you even ask such a question?"

"Well," George began, "I wasn't too sure how your wife might feel about me."

"You saved our lives," Edward said. "You killed Joseph Adams. I assure you, my wife considers you as family."

George shuffled his feet. "That's what I came here to talk to you about," George said. "Your wife and her family... are they really who I think they are?"

Edward blanched. "You mean the Keats Girls?"

George nodded.

"Yes," Edward told him. "But Anne is through with that life. She is married to me now. And we have Clara."

"What about her sisters?" George asked. "Or her mother? You know, they say she's the mastermind behind their crimes."

Edward laughed. "Louise Keats is the sweetest woman I've known," he told his brother. It didn't seem to make George feel any better though.

"That's what I mean," George said. "Your thoughts ain't right anymore. What did they do to you?"

Edward's brow scrunched. "I don't follow you, George."

"Those women," George said, looking behind Edward now. Edward realized George was searching the room to see if Anne or her sisters were there. "Did they brain wash you? Is that it?"

Edward blinked then laughed. "You're not serious."

George nodded, his eyes weary.

"George," Edward said, clapping his brother on his back. "They did no such thing. They are good people. You must trust me on this." But he could see George's discomfort at the notion. This is what Edward had been afraid of.

"I love you," George told him now. "You're my brother. I won't bring any shame or harm down upon you. But should anything happen to you... should you go missing... I'll know where to look."

Edward's jaw dropped open. He did not know what to say to his brother, so he said nothing. George gave him one final, solemn look, then left the house. Edward stood there a moment before returning to the bedroom. Anne's eyes were opened. The doctor said she was healing just fine. Soon she'd be able to lift Clara again. Edward stared at her, wondering what their future might hold.

"Edward, what is it?" Anne asked, rising in the bed. Clara cooed beside her, still asleep. "You look troubled. Who was at the door just now?"

Edward sighed. "We said no more lies, right? No matter what, we tell each other the truth. Always. About everything."

"That's right," Anne said. She was worried now but found comfort in Edward's touch as he grasped her hand.

"I don't think George is going to let this go," he said. "How would you feel about a move? About starting over in a new town somewhere? It would mean giving up our home here though. How do you feel about that?"

Anne smiled, relieved that that was all that was on Edward's mind. "As long as I'm with you and Clara," Anne said, touching his cheek, "I am home. The rest is just geography."

Edward kissed her forehead and lay down beside her. Anne was right. Nothing else mattered in this world, as long as they were together.

* * *