Chapter 08

Myers Corner was a small town—smaller than Sherburn City anyway. Anne followed Edward through the streets as he made his way to the sheriff's building. She hesitated on the doorstep. Edward saw the look on her face and went to take her arm. His touch electrified her, and her face flushed. Even now, Edward sent a thrill up her spine.

He leaned in close to her and whispered: "Don't worry. George won't recognize you from your sketch. That photo looks nothing like you." He smiled reassuringly, and she was grateful. He guided her inside, still holding her arm, and walked directly to his brother's desk.

George Wilmot was not unlike Edward in his looks. He had the same bronze hair and golden skin as Edward, though his hair was perhaps a shade darker and his skin a shade lighter. Edward's eyes were a rich caramel, whereas George's eyes were a light hazel. George was slightly older than his brother, though not by much. He grinned when he saw Edward.

"So," George said, embracing his brother. "I finally get to meet your wife." He turned to Anne, his eyes warm and friendly, putting Anne instantly at ease. She already liked this man.

"It's lovely to meet you," Anne said, extending a hand.

"And you as well," George said, taking her hand. His face darkened. "Though I'm sorry it couldn't be under better circumstances."

"Yes, well..." Anne's voice trailed off.

"Tell us what you have," Edward said.

"Joseph Adams was spotted at the edge of town by a couple of my deputies. They thought they recognized him from the sketch you sent me and decided to follow him and make sure. They were already suspicious because he carried an infant with him, yet there was no sign of a wife. Then, when they saw him going into the brothel, they knew they had their man."

"A brothel," Anne exclaimed. She could not believe that Joseph would take their daughter to such a place. She abhorred the idea of Clara being in such an environment. What was Joseph thinking taking her to such a place?

George blushed. "Sorry, ma'am," he said. "I've tried shutting it down before, but their business falls just outside the perimeter of Myers Corner, and I have no jurisdiction there. The town that has the jurisdiction, well, they'd rather just leave well enough alone."

Anne nodded. "I understand," she said, but her voice was weak.

"George," Edward said now. "Anne's sisters will be joining us to aid in Joseph's capture."

"No," Anne suddenly said, looking directly at Edward. "They won't. They're gone."

Edward looked at her, not understanding. He had been under the impression Anne's sisters would be joining them.

"Gone?" he asked.

Anne nodded and whispered, "I'll explain later," though she hoped she would not have to. Edward decided they should probably set out on their own rather than wait for Edward and George to develop a plan. Looking at Anne's face, he thought it was a pity. She looked as though she could have used the company of her sisters about now. Still, considering they were all wanted women, it was perhaps better that they stay away.

"Well then," Edward said, smiling at his brother. "What did you have in mind regarding the capture of this villain?"

George smiled. "I've got it all figured out."

* * *

Anne had to admit, George's plan was a good one. Since Edward was not recognized in Myers Corner, he would be able to infiltrate the brothel as a customer, seeking out Joseph's whereabouts once inside. Once he'd located Clara, he would then find a window and signal to George and the others, who would storm into the place while Edward grabbed hold of Clara.