Chapter 04

Breakfast was quiet the next morning. Edward said not one word to her. Anne longed to explain herself to him but didn't know how or where to begin. She was clearing the dishes, and he was preparing to leave for work when there was a knock upon the door. Anne flinched, fearing it was Joseph.

Edward, observing her anxiety, went to answer the door for her. Despite the lies she had told him, after meeting Joseph Adams last night himself and observing the evil nature of the man, the one thing Edward did not doubt about Anne's statements was that Joseph had been violent with her. Even now, he did not wish to leave her in peril.

The door opened, and a woman stood upon their porch. She was younger than Anne by a few years but resembled his wife in appearance. She had the same creamy white skin, though it was surrounded by light brown hair with golden streaks rather than the auburn hair that Anne sported. The woman's eyes looked past him.

"Emma!" he heard Anne say. She ran to the door, and the two women embraced.

"Oh, Anne," Emma exclaimed. "I'm so glad I found you. I wasn't sure this was the right house."

"Emma, what is it?" she asked. She pulled Emma inside, looking around before shutting the door.

Edward noted the way Anne had instinctively checked to see whether anyone was watching before closing the door. It was the habit of a criminal to check their surroundings like that. He wanted both women to leave, but he did not see how he could ask them to go while Clara was still so unprotected.

"Anne, mother's been hurt. She was attacked last night."

Anne's eyes immediately darkened; Edward's became alert. After years of training under his belt, he could not help but respond when he heard someone was in trouble.

"Attacked?" Anne asked, her eyes filling with tears. "By whom?"

Emma took a deep breath. "Joseph came to our camp last night after we were all asleep. Mama tried to fight him off."

"Oh no!" Anne cried. Her knees buckled under her, and she plummeted toward the floor. Edward caught her just before her head hit the ground. He laid her gently back and fanned air into her face.

"All my fault," Anne mumbled. "It's all my fault."

"She is not badly hurt," Emma cried. "She will recover. Only she is terribly frightened for you and Clara."

"I must go to her," Anne said, rising from the floor.

"I will go with you," Edward said. "We can leave Clara with Mrs. Trumball next door. She will be safe there until our return."

"You needn't go with me," Anne said, but her face was pale, her eyes shining much too brightly.

"Despite my feelings toward you at the moment," he told her, "I am an officer of the law. If someone has been attacked, it is my duty to look into it. Also... I am still your husband."

Anne's heart filled with a fresh surge of love for Edward. He would not desert her, even now! He helped her up.

Emma was staring at him, looking bewildered. "What does he mean—an officer of the law?" she asked Anne.

"Emma," Anne said, deciding that it was time to stop lying. "Edward is the sheriff Sherborn City."

* * *

Anne arrived at the camp in Paw Paw Forest in record time. Edward had not hesitated on their way, racing right along with her, but once they approached the campsite, he slowed down, letting Anne go ahead. It wasn't right that he should be here. This was the campsite of wanted criminals. But as he looked at the faces of Anne and her sisters, he didn't see criminals; he saw strong, tired women who were trying not to be afraid.