c.14

"James, don't chew my hair."

      Fisted in his tiny hand, I pull out the clump of my hair, now covered in baby spit. James blabbers curiously, unaware of his strange behaviour.

      Right now, James, Adrian and I are in the town's most well-known shopping complex. With the company of Michael, a tall, broad shouldered man in his mid-forties, wearing a crisp black suit and a Bluetooth earplug. I throw a look over my shoulder and pass him a smile, which he returns tightly.

      The air conditioner saves us from the heat wave outside but also provides a sense of comfort for Adrian, who is decked in a black blazer with an ordinary white tee underneath.

      "Showing off your arms in public isn't illegal, you know," I say as he walks beside me, his hands in his pant pockets.

      "I am aware, Elizabeth," He keeps his head straight as he walks but provides a nonchalant smirk into the air. Still, he makes no move to get rid of his blazer so I leave him alone, readjusting James on my hip.

      We walk into a narrow shop that is lit up with bright lamps focused on the displays against the window. This specific shop specializes in baby attire, such as jumpsuits, bibs, booties and all sorts of other items. At the moment, James had on an ordinary, fitted tee and shorts, with little grey socks to complete the look. He almost looks as sharp as his father.

      A young woman walks around her counter with a shining smile printed on her face to greet our small colony.

      "Hi there, can I help you—"

      Her voice dims as her eyes fall on Adrian, widening in recognition. I snort at her reaction, turning away with a smirk to check some displayed bibs.

      "I think you can... Lydia." He reads her name tag impassively and cuts to the chase. "Where's the twelve month section?"

      "Just over there, Mr Raines," She says quietly and points to the other end of the store, lit up in blues, pinks and whites. 

      I look up at Adrian and he gives me a confirming nod as we both wander over, Michael hot on our heels. I pass a madly blushing Lydia and offer her a wink as we end up in the section.

      "Look," I pick out a hanger that holds a stylish, sailor themed long sleeved shirt. James twists his head to stare at the item of clothing before his interest burns out, making him slap my shoulder.

      "Okay, maybe not, then." I dejectedly replace the hanger and scout through the other pieces of tops, looking for nothing in particular. Behind me, Michael mutters something and I turn around expectantly, only to see him holding a finger to his earplug. 

      "What about this?" A few meters away from us, Adrian holds up a blue jumpsuit, most comfortable for bed. James looks in his dad's direction and perks up at the item in his clutch. I walk over so I can get a better look but James is insistent, leaning over to take the jumpsuit into his hands.

      "I think he likes it," I smile at the baby in my arms as Adrian lets go of the suit, letting his son hold it in his hands. James mutters a few incoherent words and looks at me expectantly.

      "You want this?" My eyes dart to the jumpsuit and back to him.

      James laughs and I take it as his confirmation. Adrian smirks as he retrieves the attire and hangs it over his forearm. Discreetly, he leans in and whispers into my right ear.

      "One point to team Raines."

      He pulls away, his smirk all the more mischievous, and walks away without another word. Well then, two can play at that game. Putting on a determined face, I pace over to the shoe section.