c.19

I have showered and washed my hair. Now, I'm in one of the guest bedrooms, styling my hair and doing my makeup. The dress is still beautiful on me so I let out a sigh of relief. What was I expecting? For it to rot in my presence?

      I run the hair dryer Portia lent to me through my light locks and let them grow soft from the procedure. Once I'm done, they lay in messy curls down my bare shoulders.

      It's so hard not to admire myself in the mirror. Esme is an absolute genius for giving me this dress. And Adrian is just as amazing for buying it for me. My growing smile fades as I recall Cynthia's ruthless accusations. No. It's not going to help now.

      Pushing aside my guilt, I tie my hair into a normal ponytail before sculpting it into a neat bun. A few tendrils flow down my back and near my ears but that's how I want it. I don't want to look too neat.

      A shade of light, red eye shadow coats my eyelids and I sharpen the look with wings of eyeliner on each eye. Feeling particularly confident, I dip my pinky finger in a container of highlight and dab it near my tear ducts and on the tip of my nose.

      I finish off with a matte, blood red lipstick that instantly makes my lips fuller than they usually are. Once I'm done, I stare owlishly at the girl in the mirror.

      Makeup really can change a person. I look a hundred times prettier than I usually do. My lips quirking up in a smile, I pinch my cheeks for a bit of colour and conclude my styling.

      I carry my makeup bag back to Adrian's bedroom. Making sure to knock before walking in, I cautiously push back the door, only to find the room empty. Adrian must be waiting downstairs then. I quickly keep my bag on the vanity and grab a pair of short, black heels that Portia had the courtesy of providing. I doubt my twine sandals would match with the dress.

      Taking one last deep breath and look in the mirror, I ruffle my bangs and head out the door and downstairs. I catch sight of Adrian sitting patiently on the couch while Portia bounces a loud James on her lap while wielding his noisy maraca.

      The sound of my heels echo on the steps and catches everyone's attention as I float downstairs at my own pace. As if on cue, everyone stands up and gapes at me. Usually I'd feel uncomfortable by all the staring but for once, I feel appreciated and confident in their presence.

      My eyes travel to Adrian. He looks extremely handsome in his tuxedo. A soft giggle escapes my lips as I see a bowtie neatly done under his jaw and he raises the corner of his lips at my reaction. Portia shows her most motherly smile as I approach the small crowd.

      "You look amazing, Liz," she says, taking in my appearance.

      "Thank you for the heels, Portia," I look down at them as I thank her, grateful for the complementary footwear.

      She clicks her tongue and waves a hand at my gratitude. Beside her, James stares at me with his large blue eyes, suddenly quiet. Even his toy has fallen silent.

      "Hi," I mutter and take a hold of his hand, which he gives willingly as a smile widens on his chubby face.

      "If you need anything, Portia, just give me a call." Adrian states firmly and Portia nods, taking in the instruction.

      "Dada and I will see you later, okay?" I shake James' hand, making him show off his tiny teeth.

      "Wiz," he mumbles through his grin.

      "Wiz," I repeat before placing a soft kiss on his forehead. He laughs as I do so.

      "Shall we?" Adrian holds out an arm in the most formal manner.