c.15

It has been three days since I arrived here with baby James. My clothes have been settled upstairs in Adrian's room, where I sleep. For some reason, Adrian keeps dismissing my request for a guest bedroom, insisting that James and I both stay in his bed while he spends the night on that overly plush leather couch. If it's his wish, I guess I can't argue. 

      We're in the garden and it's my first time out here. It's safe to say that calling it beautiful is an understatement. There is a bright assortment of flowers planted in just the right places, making each corner of the area pop and stand out. At the far end, there's a gorgeous cement water fountain, sprouting out an oasis of chilled aqua into the air. 

      It turns out that James can walk, if determined waddling counts as walking. Holding onto both his hands, I walk slowly behind him as he takes his time to waddle over to the fountain. Once we reach, I kneel in front of the fountain while he stands next to me, resting his arms on the edge. He hovers over the precipice dangerously but my grip on his waist stops him from going any further.

      "It's chilly," I tell him softly as I dip my hand in the water, a sudden rush of ice pricking my fingers.

      I don't understand how the water can be so cold in the blazing heat. Although today, the weather has taken a rain check. Above us, clouds loom over but there's no telling if it will rain or not. James follows my example and tries to plunge his arm into the surface but I take a hold of it, making sure that only his hand is submerged. 

      Muffled footsteps on the grass make me turn around to see Adrian casually striding towards us, hands in his pockets as always. He is looking sharp in a linen shirt, tucked into black jeans, and his hair is slightly tamed.

      He sits on the edge of the fountain and ruffles his son's hair, which makes him laugh and waddle over.

      "Are you going out?" I ask, eyeing his outfit.

      "No," he says calmly, "my parents are coming over."

      "What?" I stand up, looking down at him with wide eyes.

      He raises an eyebrow at my reaction.

      "What's the big deal?"

      "Your parents are coming! And here I am, just—" I start to panic until I stare at him again. "Do they know about..."

      He sighs deeply and wraps an arm under James'. 

      "Yes. That's why they're coming."

      Chewing my lip, I contemplate the situation. These hotshot, rich parents are going to come over to visit their son and grandson and then, they'll see me. An ordinary girl who has randomly popped out of nowhere, now living in their son's house, looking after their hotshot son's son.

      Adrian senses my anxiety and waves a hand.

      "You don't have to worry about it, they just want to see James." Adrian pats the child's head and brings him into his arms, balancing his baby feet on his lap.

      "Adrian, be careful—" I worry as I hastily sit opposite him, being on alert if I need to.

      He smirks at my fussing. "I've got him, don't worry."

      At his mild reassurance, I relax slightly and gaze into the water. It ripples when droplets fall down from the sprout of arching aqua. Its source is a beautifully sculpted vase, held by a cherub standing on one leg on a pedestal. Behind the cherub, another one holds its shoulders, looking down at the fountain. The detail is immaculate.