c.34

~ADRIAN'S POV~

      I couldn't oppose when Elizabeth said she wanted to come to the office with me. Even though I was wary about her wanting to bring James along too, I was certain that my security was high standard enough. With that assurance, we both sit in the back of the Mercedes, James cuddled into Elizabeth with his little zebra toy in his hand. It's a damn miracle he forgot that noisy tambourine thing, it was starting to give me daily headaches. 

      We pass The Blitz, the bar I went to a few days ago, and I grimace at the dull building with neon signs. Now that I think of it, I'm glad Elizabeth was waiting for me when I came home drunk. I wouldn't have blamed her for going to bed but no, she stayed. For me. 

      Mom has been sending me these fucked up reminders about the deadline and it's been driving me insane. Of course, Elizabeth doesn't know about it but God, I wish I could tell her. She'd find a way to calm me down. She always does.

      Michael drives through the intersection that passes our small town and enters the big city. Judging by Elizabeth's keen gaze going out the window, she hasn't been around here. She points a finger to one of the skyscrapers and gasps at James, who reciprocates her enthusiasm. A ghost of a smile appears on my lips at her joy; she's radiant when she's happy.

      We head down a steep road and turn into the private entrance of my building. Through the window, I spot the new guards I hired a few weeks ago, manning the back door. 

      "Is this where you work?" 

      I look over to see Elizabeth's jaw hanging as she cranes her head up to see the top of the Raines Inc. Her surprise makes me laugh; I didn't think she would find me owning a skyscraper impressive.

      "I own the building, Elizabeth. Come on,"

      I push open my door and close it to go around and help Elizabeth and James out. She adjusts the child on her hip and has a bag of his needs balancing on her shoulder. As I relieve her of the bag, she still continues to gape at the glassy tower. Smirking, I wave a hand to Michael and he turns the car around to exit the car park. 

      "Shall we?" I say and guide her to the backdoor by placing a hand on the small of her back. She gives me an excited glance, which I return with a cheeky wink.

      I nod to the bulky guards and they stand aside obediently, letting us through. We enter into a long corridor that's lit with oval ceiling lights brightly shining the way to the end, where an elevator shaft resides.

      "Why don't you use the main entrance?"

      I shrug at her question. "It's a hassle—as the boss and someone who's well known."

      She snorts at my answer and I raise a brow at her.

      "Well known." She repeats, hinting a tease in her tone.

      "Don't test me, Elizabeth," my voice lowers as I show off a dangerous smirk. She doesn't pay heed to my threat and rolls her eyes, shaking her head as she stares ahead at the elevator shaft. So fearless. I mentally applaud her. 

      Pressing the arrow button, we wait for a moment until the silver doors slide open. I usher Elizabeth in first and James watches me as I follow her inside. I wiggle my eyebrows at the boy and he cracks an amused smile, nuzzling his chin on Elizabeth's shoulder. 

      On the keypad, I press the button for the elevator and punch in a three digit code. Once it confirms the correct key, the intercom welcomes me by name and the elevator whisks us up.