c.25

"Elizabeth, choose. He's waiting,"

      Biting the nail of my index finger, I frown as I panic over my decision. How can I choose so quickly when I am provided with such a variety?

      "I can't," I whisper, staring up at the MacDonald's menu.

      Adrian rolls his eyes and the cashier, a young boy named Josh, laughs at us as he taps a few buttons on the monitor.

      "Take your time, ma'am."

      "Okay, okay, I've made up my mind." I flourish my hands in a dramatic pose before slapping my palms on the counter and reading off the menu.

      "One Big Mac with a side of large fries, along with an Oreo McFlurry and..." I scan the drinks section quickly, "medium cup of Coke. Oh! And a six piece pack of chicken nuggets," I finish with a grin.

      Josh taps the screen a few more times until my order pops up on a small dial. I confirm it with a nod and Adrian steps forward to hand his card. Once the payment is complete, Josh ushers us to the side, where Adrian and I wait for our meals.

      "Are you going to eat all that?" Adrian raises a brow, a grin playing on his lips.

      "Oh yeah," I laugh humourlessly. "Just ask my mom. I can eat anything and everything."

      "You know what, I should." He purses his lips as he thinks about it.

      "Should what? Ask my mom?" 

      "Yeah," he shrugs off his leather jacket and flips it over his shoulder, "yeah, she probably knows more than what you have told me."

      I blink at the playful smirk matching his mischievous behaviour. A nervous chuckle escapes my lips as I suddenly cover it up by clearing my throat.

      "Don't even think about it." I say as a warning.

      "I'm thinking about it. What are you going to do?" He cocks his head to the side, a challenge glinting in his eyes.

      "I'll steal your Big Mac," I growl in all seriousness as a woman steps forward from behind the counter with a red tray, bearing all our requests. 

      "Why not my salad instead?" Adrian scoffs and picks up the tray. 

      I follow him as he carries it over to a window seat, fit for two. "Salads are boring."

      "Boring!" He laughs loudly, gaining people's eyes on us.

      "Adrian!" I hiss with a smile on my face.

      Shaking his head, he picks up my cup of Coke and uses it to push my Big Mac box towards me. "Eat."

      He doesn't have to tell me twice. I flip open the cardboard and position the large burger with my hands in a way that keeps all its contents in place. As much as I love this specific bun, the mess and struggle I go through to make sure everything stays inside is almost not worth it.

      My teeth pull out my first bite, an abnormally large one. Already, there is mayonnaise staining my little fingers and the corners of my mouth but I don't pay much heed to it, focusing my energy on chewing my bite.

      "Big mouth," Adrian remarks, stealing one of my fries.

      "Mine!" I yell through my bite, stomping my foot stubbornly.

      He laughs wholeheartedly at my reaction.

      "You're like James when I take his maraca thing,"