One Of Those Days

((lil warning, talk of suicidal thoughts/depression and starving yourself. if any of this triggers u at all please just skip this chapter. also note that if it seems like im romanticizing depression im not, i'm just projecting onto phoenix bc its been a while since ive written hurt/comfort angst >>::)) ))

Phoenix hadn't shown up to work. In fact, he hadn't shown up to work in nearly a week. Maya bit her lip. He'd never taken that much time off work, especially not all in one go like this. She sighed and pulled out her phone, opening her conversation with Nick. She quickly typed out ''hey u ok? u abandoning me w/ apollo not cool >:( hope ur ok tho xx'' and put it away, making sure her ringer was on in case of a reply.

An hour passed. Still no reply, still no Nick. Another half-hour passed. Still no reply, still no Nick. She couldn't sit still. Had something happened to him? Normally he was incredible at replying to texts, but something was very very off. She tried calling him 3 times, 4 times, 5 times and still no answer. The only other person she could call was Edgeworth. He'd surely know where he was.

''Hello?'' A gruff voice said down the line.

''Hey, Mr Edgeworth it's me, Maya.''

''Oh. Hello Miss Fey.'' He replied, sounding slightly less annoyed than before.

''I was just wondering, have you seen Nick? He's not been in all week and he's not answering my calls or texts. I'm really worried about him.''

''He hasn't been? He told me he'd been in all week and he has returned all my texts and calls.''

''Well yes you're his boyfriend, of course, he'd tell you that. Something's up with him Miles and I don't know what.'' Hearing the girl refer to him by his first name really worried him. She'd only do that if she really was worried.

''Well, I'm not too busy now. I could go round to his place and see if he's ok.''

''Ok. Thank you, Mr Edgeworth. Let me know what's happening please and tell him I'm worried.''

''Ok. Goodbye Miss Fey.'' He hung up and grabbed his jacket and briefcase. He had a feeling he knew what was going on, even though he knew Phoenix would never admit it.

After only a 10 minute drive, he'd arrived at Phoenix's apartment complex. He opened the door and walked in, heading straight for the elevator, pressing the button for Nick's floor.

He walked out and pulled out his key, unlocking the door to his apartment. When he walked in, everything was quiet. Too quiet. He walked in, put down his briefcase and hung his coat on one of the metal hooks behind the door, closing and locking it. He slipped off his shoes and began to look around.

''Nick? Where are you?'' He loudly said, warranting no reply. He checked the kitchen, living room, his office. Until finally only his bedroom remained. Miles took a deep breath and pushed open the door. There Phoenix lay, his body flat on the bed, his head facing away from him. He had a large baggy hoodie on, one he recognised to be his own, and his hair was greasy and tangled. From the small amount of Nick he could see, he looked genuinely awful.

''Oh love... what happened?'' Miles asked, walking towards the bed and sitting down. All he got in reply was a hoarse grunt.

''Phoenix, please. You have to talk to me about what's going on! Everyone is worried about you and I'd only found out you'd been ignoring everyone and isolating yourself because Miss Fey called me in a complete state. She's very worried about you, and so am I.'' He said rubbing Phoenix's arm comfortingly.

''You're lying. They don't care about me it's all just for show.''

''I'm not Phoenix I'm being serious. We're worried about you.'' He turned and pressed his back onto the headboard of the bed. Phoenix didn't say anything. He just lay still. Miles sat silently too. He wanted to help Phoenix, he really did, but he couldn't help him if he wasn't willing to put in the work himself. That was just the long and short of it.

''Nick listen. You need to talk to me. If you don't talk to me, then I can't help you. You have to work with me if you want to get better.''

''I know I... I just can't do it. I can't go out and face everyone and just put on a happy face. It's so god damn exhausting. It truly has just gotten too much now. Day in day out just pretending to be ok I just can't do it. I can't eat, I can't sleep it's just consuming me. I'm so exhausted I just can't anymore. Maybe I should just-'' Miles cut him off.

''I'll have none of that talk. You won't be doing any of that, especially not any time soon. I get 100% what you're saying but you're just proving my point more. This is where bottling it all up gets you. Greasy, exhausted and suicidal. Phoenix, if I didn't love you I wouldn't be here at all, I'd be at work. If Maya didn't love you, she wouldn't have texted you and called to make sure you were ok and she most importantly wouldn't have called me in a right state saying she was extremely worried about you.'' Miles wrapped his arm around Phoenix. Just a small notion, but to Phoenix, it felt like the world. The thought that Maya was worried too just... it just felt so comforting to him. He couldn't shake away the intrusive thoughts of lies and deception on Miles' end but a small part of his brain believed him. A small part of him believed the thought that people cared about him. He rolled over and faced Miles, burying his face in his side.

''Now then. You are disgusting. I'm taking the next 2 days off work to look after you because if you think I'm leaving you alone in this state you are dumber than you look, Phoenix Wright. Go shower, brush your teeth and change your clothes while I make you something too eat.''

''Ok. Thank you, Miles. Just you being here and dragging me back to earth has made a difference.'' Miles smiled. The fact that he was able to pull him back from the deep, dark hole of depression Phoenix had dug himself reassured him greatly.

Phoenix stood, taking off the large hoodie. His ribcage was pushing through his skin and the lumps of his spine were dangerously defined. Miles took in a sharp breath and stood too, walking to the kitchen to begin preparing Nick food, while Nick took the first steps to dragging the pieces of his life back together.

wOOP SORRY NOT SORRY LOL also just wanted to say yeah im projecting onto phoenix but i dont want ppl feeling sorry for me lol. yeah i have depression but writing and drawing and meds help and yall enjoying my garbage helps too so just wanted to put this out there lol. if i didnt have this tiny community on wattpad/a03/amino dont know where i'd be but yall are gifts and every read/comment/vote always makes me smile :) - Alec