𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗲: Pilot

The ruckus going on around fran gilbert went unnoticed by the teen as she stared out the window and at the bird sitting in the old quince tree just outside the house. it was standing scarily still, and there had already been a few times the girl almost turned around to ask her aunt if it was fake and there was no point to this staring contest with the animal - there was no point either way.

"is this hot enough for you?" she heard her younger sister, elena, question from just behind her. the younger girl was holding a cup of hot chocolate that she had just made. everyone else was having coffee, but fran didn't like coffee, so she had special treatment of getting her favorite drink every morning, all to herself.

fran's head fell when she blinked, a sigh escaping her lips. she had lost the staring contest. she lost a staring contest to a bird. she then turned to her sister, standing straight to peek inside the cup. blinking a couple of times to rid the blur the steam had caused, she lifted her finger and had zero hesitation with sticking it into the steaming liquid.

elena gasped, trying to pull away as fast as she could without spilling the drink everywhere, making sure to also pull her sister's hand away as well. "fran!"

fran winced, disregarding the rag elena offered, instead sticking her finger into her mouth and using her tongue to rid the burning liquid. "yeah, it's hot enough." she finally said, grabbing the cup while looking down at her red finger.

elena watched fran look back out the window and take a sip of her hot chocolate, acting as if nothing had just happened. she squinted, "are you okay?" she questioned, dragging out the last word as she examined her sister's expression, which was a blank as ever.

fran's brows twitched together for a second before she turned just her head to look at elena, opening her mouth with a pause. "do birds blink? i forgot if they blink or not, it's been a while since i've seen it happen."

elena's face dropped and she threw her arms up in defeat, shrugging. she was used to this happening; her being scared for fran, and fran acting like some indestructible being who has nothing to do but learn. it was a constant thing that happens, and elena was unsure how she doesn't have any grey hairs yet.

fran turned to look back out the window, shoulders falling when she saw the bird was gone. "am i driving you to school?" she spoke up once more, turning to look at elena, who had begun making herself some coffee. the oldest of the siblings didn't pay any mind to their aunt jenna rushing around the kitchen - she wasn't making her any pie, so she saw no reason to acknowledge the woman's existence.

elena's head slightly turned to her, eyes staying on the cup she had under the coffee maker, not wanting the burning her sister was unconcerned about. "uh..." she watched as the coffee stopped pouring, and then pushed a strand of straight, brunette hair to the back of her ear, finally turning completely to acknowledge her older sister. "um, no. bonnie said she will drive me there, today." elena gave a tight-lipped smile as she shifted on her feet, "y'know, she probably wants to give me one of her inspirational prep talks!" she attempted to give off a cheery look, swinging her fist and grinning a fake smile.

"yeah?" fran tilted her head, brow lifting and the corner of her lip twitching up in an almost grimace. elena shrugged, quickly saying something to jenna as she took a sip of her coffee. "well, tell her i'm sad too, y'know," elena paused at that, eyes clouding with guilt. she could have sworn fran was taking this as good as she has everything else, but maybe elena had just assumed that, thus leaving her sister when she needed her most.

"and a pie from bonnie's grandmother will do just fine to cheer me up in no time." fran finished, heading out the kitchen while also ignoring the teen boy who walked in at the same time, rolling his eyes at her and bumping her shoulder harshly.