Danvers #5

It was Christmas day and Lena appeared on Denver's house doorsteps with two huge bags of Christmas presents and one megawatt smile. But first things first. They all gathered in the kitchen to have a proper breakfast. Alex went for oatmeal, while Lena had scrambled eggs and toast. Kara on the other hand had a little bit of everything the others had. Her stomach was like a bottomless pit. Kara tried to conversate a little. "Did you know that in Europe they celebrate Christmas in the evening on the 24th?"

Alex was quick to react "But not everywhere though. In Russia, Moldava, Ukraine, Belarus and I think more countries they celebrate Christmas on 7th of January?"

"And why is that?" Lena furrowed her brows.

"I think that they use different calendar, right?" Kara turned towards Alex.

"Yeah, I think it's called the Julian calendar."

It was a Danver's family tradition to gather around the Christmas tree and sing together a carol in their pyjamas. Lena was aware of this tradition. She was told to wear her most comfortable pyjama she had. And she did. She wore a nice set of red check flannel pyjama and fuzzy socks. She didn't sing though. She rather listened to them perform their song than ruining it by her horrendous singing. They all were so talented but she couldn't get her eyes of Kara, she listened to her angelic voice. She was shook that she didn't know that Kara could sing like this. "You have to sing to me from now on, you've got a really nice voice. How come you never told me?"

"I don't know, Lena. It just never came up. I'll try my best to make it up to you!" She winked towards Lena which earned a quizzical look from Alex who heard the last sentence. Seriously Kara, what is wrong with you and all the winking? Kara mentally slapped herself.

They all sat around the tree and Kara dispensed the presents.

Apparently Alex got a motorbike which was Jeremiah's idea and Eliza wasn't that happy about it. But Alex was thrilled! She didn't know right away, of course. There were some hints. Some major hints like helmet, body armour and 2 piece suit which was all a present from Lena except the bike itself. She somehow stumbled to the conversation Alex's parents had and volunteered to buy the accessories as a present gift since she didn't know what to give to Alex. As soon as Alex figured out what was her present she ran to their garage to see if it's true. It was, indeed, true.

Kara got a brand new laptop and a phone because her old ones were... Let's say they were just old and they didn't function properly. She had her phone for seven long years and many of the apps didn't work, also the storage capacity was always showing as full even though it wasn't. The laptop she called old man was within their family for almost 8 years. Before it was Alex's and Kara then had it for 5 years. Lena almost forgot what windows XP was, until she saw Kara's laptop. Kara didn't complain about any of it though. She was humble.

It was time for Kara to unwrap presents from Lena. She saw just two bags of presents but there were large flat presents from her too. She must have brought them before and Kara didn't notice. Sneaky Lena.
It turned out that it was different types of canvases. She also got brushes and colours.

"I know how much you love painting but you are afraid to buy such things because you think you somehow screw it up so you just draw on a paper. So a gave you these. You don't have to worry, you know? You're the most talented person I know!"

Kara already had tears running down her cheeks. "Thank you Lena! You are the best! I'll give you the first canvas I paint so you better make a room for it somewhere!"

"Thank you, darling. There is something else though. When you have all the canvases ready you'll have an exhibition in local art gallery. What do you say?" Kara immediately jumped at Lena and wrapped her in a bone crashing hug.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She repeated like a broken record.

"You don't have to thank me, just remember me when youre famous, will you?" Lena joked.

Now was the time for Kara's presents for everyone. She gave each one of them the same present. "You know I love you all guys and I wanted to make you something from a heart. I hope you'll like it even though it's cheesy."

They each opened their present to reveal a t-shirt. Lena picked it up to examine what was the painting there. It looked like Kara painted them and then printed them on the shirts.

"I think I should explain what does each of your painting mean." Kara spoke again. "Yours, Jeremiah, is a picture of me and you on the first vacation as a family. It was the first time we ever spoke to each other, because I was a shy kid."

"Thank you, Kar! Should I put it on?" He didn't wait for an answer and already strip his pyjama shirt and put the new t-shirt on.

"Yours, Eliza, is from the not so ordinary day by the lake when I first called you my mom and you cried for an hour. I've never seen so many happy tears before."

"Thank you, sweetheart." Eliza gave Kara kiss on her head.

"Yours, Al, is from the day at school you stood up for me even though you didn't like me at first. You stood up for me and punched that boy Mike in the face for making fun of me." On Alex's shirt was a picture of herself in a leather jacket and clenched fist.

"Thanks, Kar! I look like a total badass!!!" She hugged her sister quicky so she could continue.

"And now yours, Lena. It is from the day I first saw you. I knew you'd be my friend one day it was just a matter of time. And it wasn't long because I came up to you the second day you moved here. But let me tell you I almost didn't. I almost chickened out." Everyone chuckeled at the memory of Kara freaking out whether she should invite Lena for a walk and show her the neighborhood or not. There was Lena on her shirt sitting on their front porch reading a book and sipping on a lemonade. All the pictures were black and white and Lena's was far more elaborated than the others. Lena turned her shirt around to reveal a Danvers #5. Immediately she had tears in her eyes. "One thing I've learned is that family is what you make it not from the people that are related to you. I put a number behind the Danvers name on our backs, see I am the fourth addition to the Danvers family and you Lena are the fifth." Lena cried her eyes out she wasn't able to open the rest of the present from Kara. Everyone hurried to hug her and reassure her that Kara's words were all true.

Previous night Kara opened up a present from Lilian and Lionel, it was a voucher to some fancy clothes shop and a voucher to the most expensive restaurant in the town. She thought she might give the second voucher to her parents instead but she decided not to.