Chapter 9- The Ace

It was the next day. Right now, I was having lunch in my classroom with Hitoka. We were chatting away about various things and ended up on the topic of my club. "How are club activities coming along for you?" She asked.

I sighed. "Honestly, I believe it could be better..." 

She looked at me in alarm. "E-eh?! What's wrong?"

I felt a little bad for worrying her. "There were two members that were previously on the team. One of them won't come back because the other won't either. They're both good players too..."

"O-oh no! That's not good!" She started freaking out a little more. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.

I was quick to put her worries at ease, and I spoke in determination. "Don't worry though! We'll make sure that we get them back on the team, and together we'll all fight to the top!"

She was now looking at me in awe. She then also had a look of determination on her face, as well as a smile. "You can do it, fight (Y/N)!" She cheered, but then she seemed to have realized something. "Oh, but you're not a player..."

I laughed a little. "I may not be, but as their manager, I can be there for them and cheer them on. I'll do my part and continue to cheer them all on."

Hitoka gave another cute smile. "You're right, do your best!"

I smiled back at her and rest my chin on my hand as I looked at her for second. "You know Hitoka, you can be so cute sometimes."

Her eyes widened at she turned a bit pink. "Eh?!" And now she's back to being her shy and flustered self. I just laughed at her reaction and continued eating.

(Time Skip)

It was now time for Volleyball practice. During break, Shoyo and Kageyama went to see Asahi in hopes of convincing him to come back to the team, but with no luck. There is still hope though. 

"Rolling... THUNDER!!"Nishinoya shouted as he did a receive. It was just a regular rolling receive, but he seems to be really into it, so I didn't say anything to break that news to him.

Right after the receive however, Tanaka started laughing and pointing at him. "That's just an ordinary rolling receive!" Never mind then.

Kageyama was confused as to why he yelled while Tsukishima and Yamaguchi were snickering. This angered Nishinoya as he yelled at the three of them. "Kageyama, Tsukishima, Yamaguchi! I'm going to lecture you all. Crouch down- I mean, sit down! Get lower than my line of vision!"

Oh dear... Maybe I should go calm him down. With that in mind, I approached the libero and put a hand on his shoulder. He looked towards me with a confused look. "Now now, it doesn't matter. You still looked very cool." I said, smiling.

To help with my case, Shoyo came up behind me with an excited look on his face. "Teach me! Teach me Rolling Thunder!"

Nishinoya went quiet and still for a good second before he turned a bit red. But even with a red face, he put his hands on his hips and had a big, proud smile on his face. He made a confident pose and face, while laughing loudly. "Ha ha ha! You see?! These two get it!" Everyone else in the room sweat dropped at his behavior.

Our attention went away from Nishinoya though, when our team advisor, Takeda, came in with an announcement. "Good job everyone. I want you all to listen up." At his words, we all gathered up. "We're doing it again this year, aren't we? Golden week training camp!"

Daichi spoke up in reply. "Yes, we need a lot of practice."

"One more thing. For the last day of Golden week..." He then raised a fist in the air with a big smile on his face as he cheered. "I've arranged a practice match!" Everyone got really excited at this news. "Our opponent is a school in Tokyo, Nekoma High School. They call themselves Neko."

Shoyo and I looked at each other in confusion. "Neko?" We both questioned.

Tanaka, hearing our confusion, explained a bit to us. "We've heard a lot about them. Our former coach and theirs were rivals. We played each other a lot."

"After I heard about that rival school, I had to arrange for a rematch of destiny." He then had a look of confidence. "I think when he hears who our opponent is, he'll want to take action." I was confused once more. Who is he talking about? Who would want to take action?

(Time Skip)

It was now the end of the day, and volleyball practice was about to begin. I knew that Shoyo and Kageyama were going to be there early so they could practice together, and I decided that I'd join them to watch, so I was now making my way towards the gym.

However, when I got there, I saw a tall guy standing at the door to the gym. He had his hand out and was looking down at it. Could that be? "Excuse me?" I called out to him. He flinched and quickly turned my direction in alarm. "Are you Asahi?"

He looked surprise. "How did you?..."

I giggled slightly. "Just a lucky guess, but it seems that you are. I'm (L/N) (Y/N), new manager of the volleyball team." I bowed. "It's nice to meet you Asahi-senpai."

He still looked dumbfounded at my sudden appearance, but he still greeted me back. "Y-yeah. Nice to meet you too..." He paused for a second before asking me. "Are you going to ask me to come back too?" He asked with a serious, but yet what I also think might be a sad look in his eyes.

I was quiet for a second but then sighed. "I would, but even if I did, in the end it's your choice whether or not you want to come back. Me and everyone else would like to have you back, I'll admit that. But I, and no one else, can force you to."  He was a little shocked. He wasn't expecting that reaction. I continued speaking. "I will say this though. The team you lost against, you only lost against them once right? What's stopping you from getting back at them on the second try?"

He looked confused. "Huh? what do you mean?"

I looked towards where Shoyo was in the gym as I spoke. "In middle school, my friend had his first and last match against a powerful team. They didn't win a single set. I don't wish to admit it, but his team was easily defeated. But... Instead of giving up afterwards, you know what he did?" I smiled and looked up towards him. "That match had motivated him. It motivated him to practice even harder so that next time his team will be the ones to win. If at first you don't succeed, you try again." I looked him right in the eyes. "Asahi. You lost the first time, but you can still win the second time. I won't ask you to come back, but I will ask you if you're willing to take that second chance."

He was now staring at me silently in shock. He really wasn't expecting what I said. I didn't say anything else, and I made my way inside the gym, a smile present on my face. I didn't realize that he continued to stare after me. 'Take a second chance?'