10

10| Rumours

"Rora did you do the english homework?" Dom asked me in Law today.

I literally just walked into the class and took my seat beside Ayan when this kid asks me that.

"Yeah I finished it. It wasn't even really homework you just had to rewrite the scene with the fairy queen and stuff." I said, pulling out my notes and handing them to him.

"Rora you're a lifesaver." Dom praised as he hoarded my notes and copied them. I shrugged.

"Girl you're way too nice to him." Sara said, glaring at Dom.

He stuck his tongue out at her. "Wow real mature dumbass." She mocked, which made him throw a pencil at her.

"Dude, I'm the one who throws the pencils around here." Ayan said, throwing a pencil at him.

"Alright guys let's settle down. Let's take up the case study from the other day. I want to hear your comments and predictions for settlements." Mr. Booker, the Law teacher said, as everyone quieted down and pulled out their case study notes.

"Aurora, you haven't shared much with us. Why don't you give it a go?" Mr. Booker called me out.

I froze. I don't like speaking in class unless I volunteer because that was the whole fucking point.

I fumbled nervously, looking at Ayan. She mouthed, 'you go girl' and I smiled.

"Okay so if we're looking at the Indigenous Rights protests in Canada right now if you look at the historical filings and documents that the Government of Canada signed saying that Indigenous Groups had rights to the lands but because they couldn't just inhabit the already developed lands they settled for a government grant set aside for the Indigenous which the guy taking care of that stole all the money anyways. I think what the Government of Canada is trying to do is just waiting for the Indigenous to bring their cases to the Supreme Court but then they're going to treat it like a SLAPP suit and hope that they get exhausted from the proceedings and drop the case, much like they did in the past." I said, going over my notes again just to make sure that I covered all the main points.

I mean we were learning about SLAPP suits and Mr. Booker thought that it would be a good idea if we look at other SLAPP suits that didn't just happen in the US, even though this is American Law.

"Well Aurora. I think it's interesting that you pointed out the past lawsuits that were brought to the Canadian Government as well. Hmm. Anyway, anyone else have something to add?" Mr. Booker commented before looking around the room.

"Jade, let's hear what you have to say." And then another girl across the classroom started speaking.

"Girl, you doubt yourself way too much!" Ayan said, bumping my shoulder.

I smiled lightly.

Yeah, I guess I do.

+++

I was at my brother's lunch table before them, so I just sat down and plugged in my earbuds, listening to some music.

Marcus handed them to me yesterday after dinner, and he had Spotify Premium with meant that I could download and listen to music without the adds.

I don't mean to sound completely oblivious to how technology works but at my old school we barely had anything. We had like fifteen old computers in the library that we took turns using at lunch or after school because we needed to research something for class.