3

3 - the child with the slightly older child

it's my day off from beaver valley bowl, so i pick winnie up from school and cycle us home. no dina, since she skipped to have sex with bradley.

i get the same weird looks from people all thinking the same thing, "that child with the slightly older child is not safe. someone needs to call someone."

and you know, i'm not a child. winnie's safe, she perches safely on my bike seat, holding on tight. i even spent some of my pocket money on a lilac helmet for her to wear.

i reckon they all share another thought, "that child isn't having the best chance of life. no mother, father works long hours and the only other adult goes to college in new york. her sister, there's not much to her."

and you know, they're right.

when we arrive, winnie's bouncing up and down. "what's wrong win?"

"i'm excited" she smiles up at me. her curls, that she got from mum, are pulled back into a small pony tail. i smile at her innocent youth.

"what for?"

"joshie's coming home tomorrow!" she says, swinging my arm around. for a 5 year old, she's got strength.

josh is our older brother. the golden one. he's coming home again. he didn't use to do this, but since mum died, he feels it's an obligation to check up on us.

"well, that's tomorrow" i say, opening the door and letting her roam free. "so today, we need to get you some dinner."

she smiles up at me, her cute smile that makes being on the planet worth it. i couldn't of asked for a better sister.

winnie's manageable for her age and fun to be around. she's quite the carefree kid. whenever you're sad, she'll draw you a picture with old, cracking crayons. i've got 20 stuck to my wall.

i let her run off to find her teddies so she can play with them. she's louder with the voices today, but i've put that down to her excitement.

as for me, i raid the fridge to find some cheese strings which i strip, rip and eat. i then pull out my headphones and listen to the beatles.

i hum along to 'help' and then start full on dancing and performing a whole musical number. it gets very dramatic with air grabs and facial expressions. i love a me party.

suddenly, i feel winnie on my leg trying to tell me something. i take my headphones off of my ears. "i wanna do something. something fun!"

i frown at my small sister and sigh. if only mum could see her now. "i can't drive us anywhere and cycling can only get us so far."

"i wanna drive!" she makes grabby hands at me, so i pick her up and grab my phone, heading out of the house to cycle.

we arrive at the bowling alley, on a day when i'm not meant to be working. i hold winnie's hand before entering the mildly busy place.

i look around and spot him, polishing some unused bowling balls. "stanley" i call as we walk over at great pace. unlike most 5 year olds, winnie isn't shy around strangers, she finds everything too interesting to worry.

"oh, ella" he frowns at my stripey top and denim jeans not being my work clothes. then he notices the small child next to me. "who's this?" he crouches so he's winnie's height.

"winnie" she smiles and pokes his nose with her whole hand, making him chuckle.

"my sister" i say with a small smirk. she knows she's being angelic, impressing stanley.

"she's adorable" he smiles again, offering her a hand shake to which she takes. "stanley barber, nice to meet you" he says ever so formally.

"so, i was wondering if we could borrow your car?" i ask politely. he stands at normal height now and laughs which makes me feel uncomfortable.

"my dad would kill me" he says which i understand. i know my dad would. "he doesn't even know i drive that piece of shit-TRASH, trash. i said trash" he frantically tries to save his swearing in front of a 5 year old. she giggles 'cause she knows.

"winnie just wants something to do" i sigh. i knew full well my plan wouldn't work. i'm not even 17 yet.

he agrees, "ok, winnie can get her adventure. but i'm driving."

i nod and smile at him before being dragged to the doors by winnie. "gladys,  i'm taking a break!"

an ella, stanley and winnie adventure chapter is coming your way...