8

8 - unexpected surprises are a birthday tradition

today is my birthday. i'm 17. it sucks being one of the youngest in the year, everyone's been 17 for ages.

i wake up to winnie bouncing on my bed in her nightie. "come on, wake up, come on, elly belly, wake up!" she squeals in my face.

"alright, i'm up" i groan. she takes my arm and drags me to the kitchen where a homemade banner is across the room. she drew this, it's her penmanship.

"happy birthday!" she says as she hugs my legs. "i made you a sign, it took me ages."

"it's great, thanks win" i say, picking her up and cuddling her.

"i made you a birthday cake pop tart. for celebration!" she tells me as she points over to the toaster.

"happy birthday, kiddo" my dad's voice comes from behind me. i turn around as winnie falls from my arms to collect the pop tarts. i'm shocked to see he's home.

"what're you doing here?" i gasp, not hiding my feelings well.

"come on, you don't think i'd take the morning off to celebrate my daughter's 17th?" he chuckles, drinking his coffee.

i go to hug him as he hugs me back. "thank you, dad" i mumble against his shirt.

"come on, i wanna open presents!" winnie stomps on the floor. "i know they're yours, but maybe i could help. it's such hard work for one person."

"sure, go ahead" i nod at my little sister, as she darts over to the kitchen island. she crawls up a stool and picks one out before shaking it.

i receive some new tops from aunt rosie, an encyclopaedia on flowers and plants from grandad joe, a bell for my bike from josh, a scrunchie from winnie and a polaroid from dad.

"dad, this is amazing" i smile as i check out the piece of machinery. i'm going to take so many photos on it.

"and, ella" dad whispers so winnie, who's occupied with the bike bell, can't hear. "this is from your mother."

"what?" i'm stunned and confused.

he holds up a necklace with a tiny 'a' on the end of the chain. "she brought this for you when you were 13, when you were being a moody teenager. and she knew she wanted to give it to you at a mature age. what better age than 17, huh?"

i smile at it. it's really beautiful with a baby pink jewel in the corner of the 'a'. "a for arabella?"

"a for arabella" he repeats. i sniff back my tears and hug him again. "now quick, get ready for school."

i dress myself in a collared polo shirt with denim dungarees. i carefully place the necklace around my neck and smile in the mirror. it looks great, i love it so much.

"don't forget this" winnie smirks at me, handing me the polka dot scrunchie she got me.

"thanks, win" i pet her head and ruffle her curls.

suddenly, there's a knock at the door. i don't have a clue who it is, until i hear my dad ask "who're you?"

"uh, stanley barber. nice to meet you" he says. oh, stanley.

i rush to the door, with my baby blue backpack on. "do you know him, ella?" my dad asks me as i'm stood beside him.

"yeah, this is stan" i repeat. "he's my uh, friend. good friend."

"happy birthday" stanley whispers to which i flap my wrist, not the time, stan. my dad looks between us and decides to keep his suspicions at bay. "i'm here to take ella to school, sir."

sir. he'll like that.

"oh, well" my dad stifles around for his words. "that's very useful and kind. good to meet you, stanley."

"you too, mr dawson" stanley replies. i step out the house, but my dad stops me in my tracks.

"what's that smell?"

fuck.

i look at stanley, who has his 'i've smoked weed since i was 3' face on. this is not good.

"ah, i apologise, sir" stanley begins, to which i pray to god he's not completely baked and won't reveal everything to my father. "it's some dumb cologne i bought. i'm so careless, i didn't try before i buy, yanno?"

to my surprise, my dad nods. but i can tell he's not fully convinced by stanley's quick thinking. "ok. see you later."

i wave my dad off as we get into the car and begin to drive. "cologne? stan, that could've gone so badly."

"i tried my best. i didn't think the almighty cop would answer the door. i've had like 2 blunts already" stanley says. i shake my head at him before he places his hand on my knee. "i'm sorry."

"it's okay" i smile and place my hand on top of his. "but seriously, both hands on the wheel, please."

he chuckles and kisses my knuckles, mumbling "happy birthday" between each kiss. when he sees i'm practically melting with affection, he let's go. "you're going to have the best birthday, els."