26

26 - things in common but without the superpowers

i sit opposite syd in the cafeteria, as we chat normally. except she seems preoccupied with something. "hey, what's up?"

"uh, nothing" she replies as she bites her nails. she sees that i'm waiting for an answer as she gives in. "bradley threatened me in the hall today."

"no way, me too" i said in a hushed tone. "yeah, pinned me against my locker and told me to tell him what happened. also, to stay away from him and dina."

"he can't just say that!" syd says, annoyed as she turns around to see dina. i could tell that dina knew we were looking at her but she ignored us.

"what's up with her?" i asked rhetorically as i took a bite out of my sandwich.

"she's mad cause i can't tell her what happened in the library" she says as she turns herself around, away from dina. "i want to and i will. but not until i've got this figured out."

"well, do you?" i ask, syd stares at me. "do you wanna test your powers out again and then dina can know?"

"are you stupid?" she asks angrily as she grips onto my wrist cast. she picks it up and waves it about in my face. "look what i did to you! i don't wanna do that to dina, or worse!-"

"ow, syd-"

syd realises what she's doing as she let's go, so i can hold my wrist and rub it to ease the pain. syd looks guilty, like she wants to curl up in a ball to get away from her temper.

"i get it, you're stressed" i say, still holding my wrist. "just, talk it out. i'll listen."

she looks at me before the words tumble out of her mouth. "i can't control these fucking feelings! they have a shitty knock on affect as well so i gotta be extra cautious now. bradley's getting in my head like he's got it in for me and there might actually be someone following me which is fucking great. and now dina's not talking to me and i really really like her!-"

"i knew it" i smile at her. her cheeks go bright red. "secret's safe with me" i wink at her as she relaxes a little. i wanna know more about her feelings for dina, but stanley sits down beside me, flipping his brown lunch bag in the process.

"what's up, ladies?" he smiles as he places both of his hands on the table. syd's waiting for me to expose her, but i'm proving my obedience and change the subject.

"talking about homecoming" i smile, finishing my sandwich and taking a bite of my apple. "it's crazy how it's so soon, right, syd?"

she's distracted again as she mumbles in agreement. he notices i'm rubbing my cast and joins in. "what happened?"

"nothing, it's fine" i cover for syd.

"hey syd, you got a date yet?"

"no, why's that important?" syd snaps at him. "i'm probably not gonna go. got a lot of shit on my mind lately."

"like what?" he laughs a little, thinking she was joking. but her death glare proves him wrong. "ok, well i was thinking we should test out your powers again?"

"no, no let's definitely do that. cause that went great" syd points to my cast so i stop rubbing it, making it seem like i'm less in pain. "what is it with you both and testing out this shit?"

"i-i was just thinking it might make you feel a little more in control. like if you maybe wanted to feel like you could defend yourself if some creepy guy really is following you?" stan says. he means it sincerely, but all sydney does is clap. sarcastically.

"just when i thought i couldn't be any more paranoid - stanley barber, ladies and gentlemen" she applauds. i fold my arms at her, she's acting rude.

stanley's in shock, a little, as he scoffs. "what is with you today? i mean i'm used to you being a dick, but this is like a whole new level."

this tips sydney over the edge as her orange juice carton starts to shake a little. "what is with me today is that i have bigger shit to worry about than hurting your fucking feelings!" she slams her hand down on the carton, trying to show she's in control.

"right" stan mocks slightly as she decides to get up and storm out of the cafeteria. i huff at her absence cause she's passing up the opportunity to understand all of this. but i feel bad for stan getting shouted at by her.

"you ok?" i ask him. he looks like his ego died a little but shakes it off when he turns to me.

"yeah. she's just being a dick" he replies, not fully understanding syd's situation. if i was hiding 2 massive secrets, i'd be like her. just without the superpowers.

"she got cornered by brad, too" i tell him, which gets his attention.

"how come you're not acting like her, then?" he says in annoyance. i don't answer, instead i finish my lunch and think of a way to get him in a better mood.

"wanna relax?"

he smirks at me before i kiss his cheek and we walk out towards the track field. he cannot resist an excuse to get high.