20

20 - fuck, respect, marry, respect, kill, respect

i was never a bad kid. in fact, i was always the goody two shoes. amanda started it, then ricky and it just spread.

i'm not seen as that anymore. ever since people have seen me hang out with stan, they assume i get high everyday. they assume we fuck whenever we get a moment alone.

they think i'm back to being rebellious. they think i'm back to how i was before mum died; careless, free and happy.

and trying. i always preferred that version of me, even if i did get into more trouble. but it was me. no one else.

that's why stanley's so great. he truly brings out the me i prefer.

but here i am, walking into the gym. seeing my old friend jenny tuffield. she used to bully me in middle school, the teachers pet who's dad was a cop. seeing her now makes me feel queasy.

"now, you six students are here for one reason. disrespect." i can't keep a straight face as mr whitaker lectures us on our misbehaviour. "5 of you i haven't even seen in detention before" he says, staring at jenny. she puts up her middle finger as i sigh. just like middle school.

whitaker repeats the word respect at least 4 more times before he tells us to start scraping gum from the bleachers. "from now until 7pm."

fuck. dad's definitely gonna know now.

"uh, mr whitaker sir" stanley says as he puts up his hand beside me. "will there be a break for snacks or dinner?"

everyone rolls their eyes, knowing the answer as whitaker just walks out of the room, dropping the box of scrapers.

we try to talk to syd, but she insists she's not talking to us. she only says sorry to me and looks at my cast. i know she's not in the best of moods, but can she cut us slack? we're in detention to talk to her.

dina tries to devise a plan for us to divide and conquer the bleachers, but jenny takes the piss as usual. "go, team!" she mimicks the average cheerleader.

"i'm not a cheerleader" dina replies.

"maybe you should be" jenny retaliates.

"maybe you should back off " i chime in, defending dina. she smiles at me thankful, before jenny has a grim smirk on her face.

"hey, goody. haven't seen you around since middle school" she patronises me as i shuffle closer to stanley.

"maybe you should be in prison" dina comments, hoping she'll leave us alone.

"ooh, that's my wet dream" she licks her teeth like a freak as i scowl at her. she's insanely good at making people feel uncomfortable. even stanley shifts in his seat.

"this gum's been here for decades. i don't think whitaker actually checks" stanley says to distract us from jenny. he has a point, it's crusty and fuzzy - at the same time.

"someone's been smoking their supply" brad says. even though that has no relevance at all, he's such a douchebag.

"why don't we play, fuck marry kill" jenny suggests as she turns her body to face us. i groan, this game always makes everyone feel weird.

"how on brand" dina says dryly. i smirk at her comment.

"who goes first? eenie, meenie, miney, mo, brad" jenny points at him. he's about to answer, like the idiot he is but dina shuts him up. "okay dina, what about you? stanley barber, ella dawson and syd."

dina thinks and sighs. "i'm sorry stan, but i can't kill one of my girls."

"none taken" he replies, intertwining our hands.

"so are you gonna fuck syd or marry her" jenny asks. she's bossy and rude, i can't believe she's still allowed in school.

"i'll marry her, if she'll have me" she smiles towards syd, who's grin is going to break her face.

"so it's you and ella in an all-day bone sesh. ugh, you little sluts" she snarls at us. stan squeezes my hand for comfort, trying not to hurt my wrist but i simply cannot hold back.

brad whispers to stan "i'd like to see that" when i interrupt him. fucking boys.

"why don't you go, jenny?" i snap, gaining her full attention.

"actually, i thought you should go next" jenny glares you at me to which i take a deep breath. "stanley, whitaker and dina-"

"i'm killing whitaker" i immediately say. jenny doesn't move her eyes off of me. "stan, will you marry me darling?" i ask in a terrible british accent.

he blushes and kisses my cheek, i take that as a yes. jenny looks disgusted until she realises i've said yes to fucking dina. it's a coincidence, again.

"you fucking sluts!" jenny exclaims. "obviously, you two have got something going on."

syd stands up and storms out of the gym, in a huff. that's where my thought is proved; syd's got feelings for dina. holy shit! i wanna talk to her about it, but that's intrusive, so i let her walk out alone.