Toby, part one.

It's been two days since Ellie...

He couldn't even bring himself to say it.

He was at the hospital, hanging on a thread of hope that Ellie would wake up. "The worst thing that could happen is death--"

Toby slammed his fist on the doctor's table. "Don't you think for a second that she'll die. She has a lot of water in her system, you can get it out! How did you even get a degree if you couldn't?"

He knew he was going too far, but he didn't care. He just wanted Ellie to live, to be with him.

"Alright, alright, we'll make it work. We'll do the best we can, Mr. McDonough."

He left for a little while, then made me come in her room. Toby then saw her almost lifeless body, hung up in way too many tubes. "Was it really that bad?" he asked. "She took a number of pills before she submerged herself in water," the doctor explained. "But the last time she was checked in here, she didn't take just four or five. She took half of the bottle."

Toby's head was reeling. "Okay, okay, enough. Enough. Spare me the details."

"Can I stay?" he asked after a moment of silence. The doctor nodded and left him for a few minutes until Riley and Connor burst into the room. "She's still not waking up?" asked Riley. Toby couldn't speak, so he just stared at his brother with empty, sullen eyes. Connor was the first one to come up to him and hug him. "She'll be okay, buddy. She'll be okay," he said. The boys sat in silence until the night turned older, which eventually turned into another day.

Riley had to leave because Tris was experiencing contractions now. All Toby could think about how he wanted Ellie to witness her niece's birth. Then again, all Toby could think about was how he wanted Ellie to wake up and that was it. He was rather spiritual, but then he started to pray after three more days that Ellie wasn't waking up. "Toby, wake up," a soft, sweet voice said. It was Mimi. She looked at Ellie, then looked away quickly. "I can't imagine what you're going through right now," she said. "I look like hell. But what I do is I just talk to her, assure her that everything will be okay. She'll be better, we'll be together again and get married, have kids if possible..."

Mimi put a friendly hand on his shoulder and told him to stay strong for her, but truth be told she felt so much sympathy for him. They both knew it was more or less going to be too late for Ellie, but they're all still hanging on the last thread of hope.

"Ellie, please, just wake up. I never should have left my eye on you. I'm so sorry. I could have helped you," said Toby. "Maybe instead of focusing on the sad stuff, you could talk to her like normal. Yeah? Try it tomorrow. You need to sleep," Mimi suggested. "I'll look after her."

"What if she wakes up?"

"I'll wake you up, too," said Mimi.

**********

"You know, Tris started to feel the baby pop out of...whatever it is we pop out of when someone's pregnant," said Toby the next day. Mimi stifled a laugh. "How can you do this? It's not the same," said Toby. "Just do it. I know it's not the same, but it's the best way to get your mind off the sadness, and a way to make her wake up a little. The doctors told me to tell her stuff about our days, the happy parts at least. Just keep her calm and happy," Mimi explained. Toby nodded as he absorbed every word she said into his mind.

"Wait, anything that keeps her calm and happy? That means I could sing to her, right?" Toby asked. Mimi nodded. "Try it now."

He started singing Three Words.

Then he felt something grip on his hand a bit tighter. It seems Mimi saw it, too. She said, "Keep going."

By the time he ended the song, her eyes fluttered open. Toby let go of her hand and felt his breath hitch. Ellie was still familiarizing where she was as Mimi started crying and pulled Toby in for a hug. "I thought this shit just happens in movies!" she sputtered. Toby felt himself tearing up, too, but he didn't make a sound. He felt relieved, but he couldn't move. She's finally awake, he thought. Mimi pulled away as she hugged Ellie next.

Connor went into the room silently and watched the two best friends reuniting as he did. Toby finally hugged Ellie. "I missed you. I missed you so much," Toby said. She was still cold and a bit fragile, but at least she could pull him in her arms. "I don't think she could talk," Connor said. "Yeah, I heard from the doctors they had to pump her stomach to make her cough up the pills she took..." Mimi said. "No," Ellie croaked. "I-it's okay."

Toby held her hand and put it against his lips. "You haven't shaved," she laughed. "There's no
time. I'm almost always here waiting for you to wake up," Toby replied. "I'm sort of glad I did," Ellie said, making everyone else in the room heave a sigh. Connor called the doctor in. Dr. Thwaites, his nametag read. "Good morning," he said. Everyone else nodded in response.

He did a little check up on Ellie before turning back to them. "She's fine now. Her heart rate's normal, she can see clearly and her temperature's regulating again. Her throat's a little dry, but you can wash that off with lukewarm water," said Dr. Thwaites. "Also, before she's discharged two days from now, she'll undergo a few tests to reassure that she's all better. It was made clear to me that I mention Dr. Stinson, her psychiatrist, asked for this," he added.

Thwaites left them to have a moment of privacy together again, and to tell the nurses to get her food to eat.

"I'm okay," said Ellie with a smile on her face.

Toby smiled and kissed her cheek.

"You're okay," he said.

idk if this sucked or not

also i may still be updating slowly

but i hope you liked this chapter xx