Diagon Alley

Dear Mr. Hare,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall,

Headmistress

I read over the letter again for almost the hundredth time. Ten times I had read it, before I decided to show my parents. Every time I read it, it was as if the balloon that was inside my heart inflated a little more. My dad was the one most shocked, because after I showed him the letter, my mum had to tell him about her history, and that I was a new part of that history. I don't think he was upset, but he was definitely shocked to say the least.

It was already the middle of August. I wondered when I would be getting a wand. Mum told me all about Diagon Alley, Gringotts bank, and Olivanders.

"You have a long journey ahead of you," She said, "but trust me it's worth it. With Professor McGonagall as headmistress, and with it being your first year, there are a lot of surprises that await you. Not to mention Hogsmeade...although that doesn't come until your third year, but that's okay. There's plenty to do until then."

To be honest, I wanted her to be quiet about it. I wanted it to be a surprise; because today was the day I went to Diagon Alley. I read over the school supply list again.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (Dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings.

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags.

Course books

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The standard book of spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical theory by Adalbert Waffling

A beginners' guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phillida Spore

Magical Draughts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quintin Trimble

Other Equipment

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, Standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl, or a cat, or a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

My heart was pounding with anticipation and questions rose in my head. How long was the trip going to be? Could I maybe practice a few simple spells at home?