Return of the Yule Ball

"Hey! The N.E.W.T. exams are starting soon. You don't want to miss these." Said Karley. I stood up from the yellow couch that I had grown so accustomed to. Winter came down from her dormitory, looking as beautiful as she did on the night the ball. The memory was so vivid it was like every time I remembered it, it was as though I were still living it.

Winter was the one to ask me to the ball in my fifth year. The Triwizard tournament had come back, surprisingly. The ministry over seed preparations to make sure that there would not be a repeat of what happened back in 1994, where the triwizard cup was a portkey straight to You-Know-Who. Ilvermorny and the Beubatons Academy of Magic had joined us that year. The first task was over with. Each student had to face a zouwu. The student from Ilvermorny put a spell on his, our champion used a charm that distracted the zouwu with a type of light, and the girl from Beubatons used a potion of invisibility to sneak past it. It was quite an interesting day.

A few days after the first task, we found out that there was going to be a Yule Ball, or rather...a dance.

My mom had sent me some nice dress robes along with a letter.

Dear Vince,

Here are some dress robes for the Yule Ball. I hope you can send me some pictures of you and your friends together, and maybe you and your date, if you get one. You should have fun at your age, at least every once in a while. If you get a date, remember to be a gentleman. Hope you're doing well.

Love and regards,

Mum

I was sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace, paying no mind to the ball, because I was busy studying for my O.W.L.s. I know Mum said I should take a break and figure out who I should take, but there was no rush. When I had walked through the corridors and stair cases earlier on in the day, I noticed a lot of couples holding hands, talking about their plans for the Yule Ball, like who they were taking and who they wanted to ask. It didn't bother me, because everyone had a smile on their face. Even Jamie didn't want to throw any sarcastic insults at me when she passed, because it seemed, she too had plans to go with someone.

Winter sat next to me while I was reading a book about dark wizards.

"What are you reading?" Winter asked.

"Just a chapter about the crimes of Gellert Grindewald. He was a bit darker than...well...Tom Riddle." I replied.

"Interesting...so...I wanted to ask you...are you going to the ball?"

"Erm...do I have a choice? My mum sent me dress robes, so she'll be disappointed if I didn't go." I laughed.

Winter smiled too, staring into the fireplace. "You know...I don't think it would hurt if we went, even if it was just as friends. I mean...you told me that you saw me in the Mirror of Erised, so I thought if...if you desired me, even if it's just a friendly way...I'm overthinking, when I should just spit it out." She grabbed the book I was reading, and put it on the cushion next to her out of my reach.

"Hey! I was reading that." I exclaimed.

"Will you come to the ball with me?" She asked, looking directly at me.

Suddenly the air was a little too heavy. I loosened my black and yellow tie and said "You mean, as friends, or...as a date?"

"I guess we'll find out, cuz even I don't know."

I looked at Winter, and her facial expression was very clear. It was as if her happiness relied on this one answer, and by the look of hope in her eyes, I could see that she was almost pleading with me to go. It was a very important moment for her, and the ball was obviously important to her as well, so I smiled, nodded and said "Of course, I'll go to the ball with you."