A New Owl

I was woken by the prefect, Gabriel. "It's time to get ready for the day. I don't mean to be rude, or nosy, but I took the liberty of checking your schedule. Are you sure you don't need help finding your first class?"

"No, I'm alright." I replied, rubbing my itchy eyes, "Thanks, anyways."

"No problem."

I removed the covers; changed into my Hufflepuff uniform, grabbed my schedule and my wand, and headed for the Hufflepuff common room. Some of the students were already there. I was feeling a bit nervous, so I sat on one of the big overstuffed couches. No one was sitting there, but other students acknowledged me with hellos and good mornings. I nodded back with a smile, not wanting to seem rude. A week had passed since I got here. I knew where everything was, but it seemed as though the only friends I made were Zane and Jazz still. It's not that I didn't want friends, I'm just a shy person...or for lack of better words, socially awkward.

I looked at my schedule. The first class I had was at nine o'clock, and it was charms taught by Professor Brewer. Then, at ten o'clock was history of magic, taught by a Professor Granger. At eleven, it was time for lunch, after that, I had potions with Professor Vane, then a flying lesson with Professor Hammen, and finally Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Lupin.

"When do we eat breakfast?" I asked.

"Oh, you can go eat breakfast now." Said Gabriel. "These students are just gathering themselves before class. Trying to wake up, you know?"

"Yeah, I understand. Thanks again." I ran back up to the dormitory, grabbed my books, ran back through the common room, slowed down, and crawled through the barrel and into the corridors of Hogwarts. The kitchens down the corridor smelled of sweet breakfast food. When I reached the great hall, there was students already eating breakfast. I found a seat at the Hufflepuff table and helped myself to a cinnamon roll, a thick piece of French toast, and a few slices of bacon. I drizzled syrup on my French toast and dove in.

No one really sparked any conversation, and I didn't either, but I didn't mind. I wanted to get more comfortable with Hogwarts first before I talked to anyone, unless I ran into Jazz or Zane, of course.

After breakfast, I heard a bell ring, and students started standing up and walking out of the great hall. It was time for my first class: charms. Before I started walking out into the corridors and many sets of stairs to find this class room, I had to figure out where I was going, because I had completely forgotten where my first class was. I memorized classes and locations on the first day, but the rest, I spent in the Common Room. I started asking random students if they could lead me to Professor Brewer's, but no one answered.

I was sure I was going to be late for my first charms class, but then a soft voice came from behind me.

"I can take you to Professor Brewer's class."

I turned to see the girl called Winter behind me. She had white hair with two pigtails.

"Thanks." I replied.

"I'm Winter." She said. I noticed I never really introduced myself to her.

"Vince."

"Is this your first year too?" Asked Winter.

"Yeah." I told her a little bit about myself as we walked up the castles stairs. "This place is huge. How does anyone get to class on time? I mean how much time do we have to get to classes?"

"Well, with the place being so big, I think they give us ten minutes." Replied Winter.

We both hurried up one of the staircases, and I almost fell back down them when I felt the staircase move. "Bloody hell!" I exclaimed.