The Feast

We reached the other side of the lake in a tiny little shack, where a small man was waiting. He waved his wand and the boat we were in hung itself up on a type of rack. Zane and I climbed several stairs before we finally got to the top and walked through the massive doors of the entrance to Hogwarts. We followed the other students up a few more stairs where a tall bald man with a long gray go tea was waiting.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." He said, "My name is Professor Vane. You are about to enter the great hall through these doors, but before you can take your seats, you have to be sorted into your houses. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin. Here's another heads up for you. While you're here, your house will be like your family. Your victories will earn you points, but any rule breaking, and you will lose points. The house cup is given to the house with the most points at the end of the year. Are there any questions?" No one said anything or raised their hand. "Okay, follow me."

Professor Vane turned around and led us through another set of big doors. The first thing I noticed was the tables. There were four, and we were walking between the middle two. Then it made a little bit more sense. Four houses, four tables. I had also noticed that there were witches and wizards older than me or even Jazz. Then I noticed the ceiling, which seemed to fade into a blueish black night sky, and just between the ceiling and the tables, were floating candles. Looking all around there was fire all over to keep the place lit.

"Did anyone ever hear of a lightbulb?" I joked.

"It can't happen. There's too much magic in the air. It would burn them out too easy." Said a voice behind me. I turned around and noticed a very short girl, who I towered above.

"I'll have to remember that." I said.

"Why? Forget your cell phone?" Said the girl.

It was obvious; this girl was going to be a bit of a nag, so I kept my mouth shut.

When we reached the end of the long tables, Professor Vane told us to wait along the front.

"Before we begin, Professor McGonagall would like to say something." Said Professor Vane.

Professor McGonagall, the headmistress, stood up and said "Welcome first years. I would like to remind you that the forbidden forest is strictly forbidden to all students, unless accompanied by a teacher, and that magic is strictly forbidden in corridors. Thank you."

"One more person who has to say something." Said Professor Vane. He unwrapped a hat from a string that was holding it together, and set it on the stool.

It happened so instantly, that a few students, including Zane and I, took a few steps back, gasping. Out of the blue, it began to sing.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,