Quidditch Trouble

The final day of the N.E.W.T. exams finally came to an end, and I sat back in my chair. From the great hall, I could see the Quidditch pitch waiting to be played at. I recall winning my first Quidditch match during my third year, and it all started when Harpiere came zooming into the Great Hall with a very unusually large package.

I had to catch the large package myself because I was eating breakfast and didn't want it to splatter orange juice all over the table.

"Okay, that's obviously a broom." Said Karley.

"Wait...What's today?" I asked out loud.

"September 11th." Said Winter with a gasp. "I almost forgot! Happy birthday, Vince. I have something for you in my dormitory. I'm not going to tell you what it is though."

"Happy birthday, Vince." Said Karley.

Jazz made her way over, and I had to give her a hug. "Happy birthday, Jazz." I said, and we embraced in a hug.

"I like having a buddy who shares my birthday. What's this?" replied Jazz, looking at the broomstick on the table.

"I don't know. Did you get to open anything yet?"

Jazz frowned slightly. "Not yet. I'm sure someone will send something for me though."

I offered Jazz one end of the broomstick and we opened it together. Underneath the paper was one of the most beautiful broomsticks I had ever seen. It was the one I was looking at in Diagon Alley when I went for the first time, the Blaze.

"Now you really are little blaze." said Jazz.

"It's just as fast as the firebolt. Those two brooms could put up a fight matching each other. I sent an owl to your parents, Vince, that you made the Quidditch position as seeker," Said Professor Hammen from behind me. I turned and faced her. "I also knew your birthday was around the corner, so...my plan worked. Your parents may have gotten you the broomstick, because I knew they would."

With every word she spoke it was as if a balloon had inflated inside of me, and I felt as though I could float. I had no choice but to hug her tight and thank her over and over.

"Easy, there, Vince. Save it for the game. Oh, and, Jazz. I sent an owl to your parents too. You made beater." Professor Hammen lowered her voice to a near whisper. "If they don't get you a broom, I will."

Jazz' eyes went big with excitement and she started jumping up and down with joy. She went back over to her seat at the Slytherin table and I sat down admiring my new broom. I was so excited, that I didn't even notice that my mom had sent me a letter and a few galleons as well. Since it was a special occasion, I even let Harpiere feast on a whole cinnamon roll with two pieces of bacon. Later in the day after classes ended, Winter lead me to the common room and she told me to wait on the sofa.

When she came back, she had a gift that was neatly wrapped in parchment and string. I opened it to find my very own copy of Quidditch Through The Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp. "Winter...I don't know what to say...I mean thank you." I said, smiling.

"You really like it?" She asked.

"I really do." I replied, and it was the truth. Usually, I wasn't a fan of getting educational books, but because I had taken an interest in Quidditch, I was genuinly happy. I gave her a hug and opened it to the reviews. It had a positive review from Gilderoy Lockhart.

"Didn't he go mad, or lose his memory?" I asked.

"I think he tried a memory spell with a broken wand and it backfired, so he's in St. Mungos." Replied Karley.