20

"Feed me the rock!" Coleman shouted.

The camp's basketball court was the center of the three duplexes on what was once a roadway leading into and terminating at the end of a soft-curve dead end of a former residential cul-de-sac. The faded boundary lines had been re-painted whenever supplies allowed, creating a mismatch of different shades through the spectrum of yellow, red, and a multitude of builder-grade recycled interior whites. Two hoops hung off curved metal poles, implanted down through the surrounding asphalt and down further into the soil below, solidified in place with surrounding cement footings poured centuries ago. No netting of any kind hung from either of the rusted rims. The re-painted foul shot and three-point lines gave a small advantage to the west side of the court, but everyone had given up trying to argue the point and simply switched sides while attempting to keep the same squads intact each week when they played the game.

Teddy was dribbling next to Achak, who sized up with his nose lining parallel somewhere near Teddy's elbow. Teddy heard Coleman coming toward him out of the corner. He turned his eyes to bounce pass the community's worn smooth, whitish-orange basketball over to him. Coleman was three feet from the hoop, and the pass made for an easy layup into the basket. Keith was seemingly unconcerned with the outcome of the game. He stood by, lethargically guarding Coleman who spun past, running half-circles around him with ease.

"Stop saying that. Where did you get that from?" Jake questioned the 'feed me the rock' comment while running back to his position near Coleman.

"I heard it on a movie I watched. I can't remember the name of it. It had guys playing in the street like this, and the white guy said, 'Feed me the rock!' That's what they called the ball back then: the rock."

Coleman stood off and threw the ball in to Gabby, who was proving to be quite the skilled competitor. The boys liked the option of girl-guarding-girl that developed with Gabby joining the game. It was Gabby, Teddy, and Coleman vs. Sasha, Keith, Achak, and Jake. Presley was keeping watch in the small guard tower that looked out over the part of the main road passing the hidden entrance of the camp. If they were ever short a player, it was most often deemed that Teddy would head up the smaller group, given he was the six-feet, seven-inches giant of the camp. His hands were massive, making it much easier to grab the ball. He could almost palm the basketball, not to mention his height advantage made basketball Teddy's favorite game to play.

Gabby started to dribble up court, with Sasha pacing right next to her. Gabby stopped and then pivoted while looking for someone to pass to. Eyeing Teddy coming up on her left, she turned into Sasha and sent the ball under her waving arm which was attempting to block her. Gabby hurtling the ball in front of the charging Teddy, who managed to corral it with an outstretched palm. Teddy sauntered the ball into the basket, jumping up for a subdued, sportsmanlike dunk.

This always seemed unfair to the rest of the team who couldn't really do it. Sasha could have, but she never felt right about playing 'all out' with the group given her enhancements. Instead she chose to only allow herself to perform layups. Letting up on the boys still didn't save her from ridicule though. Anytime she did do anything great on the court, the phrase, 'Steroid Era' was often uttered by Coleman, Presley, or Jake. The court was fueled by juvenile trash talk where Sasha was called out as a weak girl when missing shots, given that she was a girl who also happened to miss a shot. Strangely enough, she seemed to enjoy the instance of being belittled by them on occasion when she would underperform. Something about these insults made her feel more feminine, and above nearly anything else she craved to be thought of as a girl, or a woman, she supposed. Being put down by the guys for her lack of physical strength fit the bill just right for her. And, to that mutual end, the boys likely sensed this along with a wanting to separate and prove themselves 'manly' to her as well.