24

The fine grain powder spilled over from an Aunt Gigi instant pancake mix was absentmindedly dashed across the countertop, leaving behind a beige muddle of dry, preserved ingredients. "Velp, dude! Watch what you're doing; that's the last of the last of it!" Jake openly scolded Presley in the kitchen full of hungry people across from where Emerson and Gabby had spent the previous night, while — notably — not in their assigned beds above where the rest of the camp had congregated that morning. The group was in strong agreement to make the remaining pantry items last for as long as possible. The cupboards were bare, and it was becoming clear that today was likely the last day they would be eating much of anything until they were lucky enough to find a new stash or some more animals came wandering into their gun sights.

Presley carefully swept the pancake mix off the counter and back into his mixing bowl. Then, with a greater sense of care, he gently tapped the last of the particulate still clinging to the inside of the box into the bowl before moving on to the next step in a list of four precise cooking instructions which were labeled on the side of the box. Reading the words slowly, he then began measuring out some water from the tap at the kitchen sink.

Sasha kept dashing a look up the stairway leading off the kitchen every few seconds, unable to shake the sinking, nervous feeling fostering in her heart. No... He wouldn't. Someone else would, but he wouldn't, Sasha pleaded with herself over and over again while pacing in a wide oval pattern around the long dining table. She had fallen asleep next to him on the couch last night. She had felt so good about where she was. Where they were, she thought. And now this! She was unable to keep her growing emotional distress hidden from the others, who were sitting around the table staring off at inanimate objects like a herd of domesticated zombies. Everyone seemed unsure about what could occur next, while also not letting on what their opinions were over a potential budding camp romance. They all felt that something had changed. Something was off today. Everyone felt a little different, and also a little similar about the unconfirmed, unspoken rumor spreading like wildfire in the kitchen that morning... Small towns live and die on gossip and speculation, and no town was smaller than Ranchlands.

As Coleman watched Sasha's pacing feet, he had the lightest heart of anyone in the room. A lustful part, which he kept hidden (often even from himself), was tickling him with a sense of glee at the thought of Sasha feeling betrayed and making a full break from her Emerson connection. He wanted to be there for her in a time of distress, to let her know there were other men that could give her everything she needed. The only reason she was so psychotic was because she didn't have a partner in her life that could satisfy her like he could. Even at his young age, Coleman was tired of just hooking up every so often, usually after she'd gone on a bender and somehow landed in his bed somewhere between self-acceptance and self-loathing. He'd seen two sides of her in those moments: one that wanted to be treated like velp, and one that was softer and playful. He honestly didn't know which one he liked more. She always left him disheartened though, as before, during, and after she seemed to be obsessed with reminding him not to tell anyone about their erotic affairs. Jake and Presley knew, and Teddy made it his business to know by eavesdropping on every whispered conversation between anyone at any time. Watching her now, Coleman really hoped she'd see that she needed a man like himself who would put her in place so she didn't have to think about making big decisions. She could live peacefully without any responsibilities under his care.

"Well, I'm just going to knock and see if anyone is sleeping up there," Sasha mentioned, as she began ascending the stairway up to the second floor.

Teddy and the other four boys held their breaths and waited for some type of explosion to set off above them. Although Teddy was sure his suspicions were correct, he still doubted himself. He was half-hoping to hear some fireworks upstairs and half-wanting it to be nothing but a misunderstanding leaving everything and everybody as they were... Small towns have little in the way of entertainment, and the drama of watching heartbreak evolve into rich, hateful scorn still remained the biggest ticket seller among audiences.