chapter one

it is currently eleven in the morning, and y/n l/n is on her way to a town called derry, maine. ever since her father died, her mother and her just haven't felt at home anymore in indiana. though she had a few close friends there, she couldn't bare to see all the things that made her father happy. they wanted a fresh start, in a new town, with new faces, and a new home.

*y/n pov*

derry, maine. i wonder what the people are like there? they couldn't be comparable to my friends in hawkins. my friends, and my boyfriend, mike, took it really hard. my father killed himself on december 18th. it is now january 2nd. my mother wanted to let me have a new years kiss with my boyfriend. she didn't tell me we were leaving until i got home that night. bet you think that conversation with mike went down well, right?

it couldn't have gone worse.

*flashback to before y/n left for derry*

i walked in to see my friends, my party, on new years day. they were all playing that stupid dragon game. mike came over and kissed my forehead. "hey love! we're almost done. then maybe we can all go out to dinner."

i smiled and agreed. i patiently waited for the boys to finish their game while his sister, nancy, braided my hair. i decided to tell her first. as an only child, she's been like a sister to me since i was in grade school.

"hey nanc? i have something really important to tell you." she gently smiled and nodded.

"you know i can handle it y/n/n." i sighed.

"my mother told me after our celebration last night that i will be moving to a small town in maine. she, well we, can't bare to see things that remind us of my father anymore. we leave at three in the morning. i don't know how to tell mike or any of the other boys. it's even hard telling you, and i have never had an issue telling you anything before!"

nancy was shocked. tears began to swell in here eyes. i didn't think she would take this as hard. i guess i was like a little sister to her. it would be hard not to see her for a while.

"y/n/n, ever since you came to my house that summer day when you were six, you have been my favorite of my brother's friends. not even that, i considered you a friend to me on my own. i have told you every secret, every hard decision, and every meal i have eaten for almost ten years!" we both chuckled. "i'm going to miss you a lot."

we both had a few tears slip while we hugged. "i'm going to miss you too."

she collected herself and got serious. "enough about me, mike. not just mike, all of the boys."

there were four boys that hung around with me. them and i made up a group we called "the party."

to begin, there was lucas sinclair. he was probably the most down to earth guy you could ever meet. he's always been there for all of us, but he always makes sure we know the truth.

then, there was dustin henderson. he's a huge goofball. he loves seeing all of us smile. i have never seen that kid NOT try and make sure the party was happy. he always cracked jokes when we were sad. they never failed to help.

next, is my next door neighbor, will byers. i met him first when i was 6 years old. he saw me struggling to ride my bicycle and taught me how to ride it! later that day, he introduced me to the rest of the party. my mom and his mom always hoped we would get married. secretly, i think he hoped so too. will is my forever and always my best friend.

finally, my boyfriend, mike wheeler. where do i begin with this boy? i don't think i could ever love someone as much as i love him. he has never singled me out in the group because i'm a girl and tends to put my feelings first. we started dating when we were 12. we are both now 15. our four year anniversary is on my birthday, march 21st. we already made plans for that day. our parents were FINALLY going to let us have a sleepover. what a shame that can't happen, huh?