Chapter 10: "Schools back."

Izzie's POV

"I can't believe the holidays are over." I moaned to Casey as we trudged across the school field. Casey swung her head back and groaned dramatically, running her hand through her hair messily.

"Don't remind me, I wanna die already." She replied sulkily, I wrapped my arm around her shoulders to cheer her up.

I was instantly warmed up under her protective arm, since the weathers been awful recently.

"At least we've got each other." I beamed, pecking her cheek softly. Her cheek was cold and flushed, but it managed a little more colour where my lips had been.

She smiled slightly, although I could tell something was bothering her. As a matter of fact, she'd been acting weird all week. Ever since that weird visit from Evan, which got explained away by Casey.

Although my gut told me she wasn't being completely truthful, which kinda irked me. Since we told each other pretty much everything.

"Cheer up, Newton, have a twizzler." I pulled one out of my jacket pocket, and gestured them towards her, but the look on her face wasn't impressed.

"Dude, you're addicted to those! How've you always got a constant supply?" She laughed, for the first time today. Casey's laugh was contagious as always, making me smile against my will.

"You know what... the real question is why don't you?" I said taking a bite out of the twizzler she rejected, damn these things are good.

"They're your favourite." Casey rolled her eyes dramatically "besides we're supposed be on that high protein diet for track." She said nudging me playfully.

"Since when did you care about the rules." I said pulling away from her slightly, and taking another bite. She rolled her eyes once more, pulling on her backpack strings in a stand-offish way.

"This is the only thing I got going for me right now, and I don't wanna mess it up okay." She said quite bluntly, her words somehow cut deep.

I stared at her for a moment, shocked by her outburst. When her words finally registered in my brain, what a dick.

"The only thing... wow. Screw you Casey." I said storming off in the other direction, and not even caring that it was the long way. I didn't turn around but I heard her trying to call me back, which I ignored rightly.

If she wanted to talk to me, she has to tell me whatever she's been keeping from me. I just wish she'd confided in me.

——

The frosty air had no mercy against my exposed arms, I had forgotten to grab my jacket. And relied on Casey's body heat for most of the way to school.

I'm cold, walking on my own. Great first day back, I don't see how this could possibly get any worse-

"Hey Izzie." A drawling voice called from a distance, there's only one person it could be.

"Nate." I said crossing my arms angrily, he strolled over looking a little smug. His uniform perfectly pressed, and hair obnoxiously poofy.